Shark Clamp

glenn bradley

Just a quick note. If you have awkward clamping situations, whether jig related or for assembly, a Shark Clamp (generally found at welding supply sites but, available with rubber pads) is very usable. I have a pair and they get used more than I ever thought.

SharkClamp.jpg

I have a couple. From HF. One slips significantly, but then I was asking more of it than it was designed to do. They are handy.

Thanks Glenn reminds me of the welding clamps i saw in that stop motion video the guy making the lawn chair uses. Think a trip to somewhere that sells them is worth a turn.

I would think REAL vise-grips, with the swivel pads would do the same, but with a lot more holding power.

Let me add to that a bit. I am referring to the "C" clamp style vise-grips, with swivel pads. They hold a bunch.

Last edited:
I would think REAL vise-grips, with the swivel pads would do the same, but with a lot more holding power.

Let me add to that a bit. I am referring to the "C" clamp style vise-grips, with swivel pads. They hold a bunch.

I use mine all the time, especially at the drill press, definitely has holding power, but the jaws don't look as though they'll open as far as the shark...Hmmm, I suppose they both come in larger sizes :dunno: ...guess that means another tool purchace, darn it anyhow :D
DSCF8372.jpg

I use mine all the time, especially at the drill press, definitely has holding power, but the jaws don't look as though they'll open as far as the shark...Hmmm, I suppose they both come in larger sizes :dunno: ...guess that means another tool purchace, darn it anyhow :D
View attachment 82268

The usefulness of the Shark format for me was not having room to operate vise-grips, c-clamps or f-style clamps. The handle is straight out from the object being clamped and is tightened by twisting, like a screwdriver ;-)

Dan, these "Shark" clamps are a take-off of the "Kant-Twist" clamps and probably pretty useful for wood working. The K-T clamps are really rugged and hold a lot more. Kind of expensive though, but worth it.

Ken, the "C" Visegrips you show are the smallest size. There are several larger and different styles made by Petersen/Irwin, et al. There are also several other brands, that are not made the same and are, IMNSHO, inferior. All of mine are 15 or more years old and still work just fine.