Shrine Wood Pen

Stuart Ablett

Just to show I do still use my lathe........... :rolleyes:

temple_red_keyaki.jpg

This is some Red Keyaki that I got from the local Shinto Shrine a while back.

I have to take three LARGE bags of sawdust to dump in his composter, and I'd like to keep them happy, as this is a great thing for me to be able to get rid of all that sawdust, for free, so I thought a pen from the wood from their property would be good.

Sorry for the crap pic, cell phone :eek:

The Keyaki is HARD, but with a sharp skew, you can put an almost glass like silky smooth finish on it, then I start sanding at #400 or even #600, saves time and sandpaper.

Finish is two coats of sanding sealer, at the #400 mark, then #600, after that, two or three coats of thin CA glue, then sand #800, #1000, #1200, and #1500.

Lastly turners wax and a good buffing.

The pens come out nice, and the effect of the grain is almost 3D, when you move it around the grain "Dances" if that makes sense.

Cheers!

Nicely done, Stu. Looks like some very pretty wood. That 3-D effect you're talking about is called chatoyance. It's one of my favorite wood characteristics. ;)

Pretty, pretty, pretty pen, Stu. :thumb: You'll have the Shinto monks (I guess that's what they are called???) arguing over who gets to use the pen, so you'll have to make more. :rolleyes:

A gift made of wood from the recipient is so special--I made pens for my family from the black walnut tree they had to cut down. They really are special.

We are making pens from reclaimed wood from a ranch in Hawaii -- lots of it has been on the ground for several years, and the pens are awesome. The ranch manager is going to be selling them to his "dudes" who visit. Nice way to take home a piece of vacation---so much better than that plastic Chinese key ring.

Nancy

nice pen stu.......now if you can only figure out how to get them to use it to write you checks for future pens;) .....tod

Now CUT THAT OUT! :rofl:

Everyone is making pretty things but me! :eek:

Great job there Stu!

DT

Thanks guys!

Nancy, the Buddhists are "Monks", the Shinto are "Priests", FYI :thumb:

There will be no arguments over the pen, I'm Stu, not "Stu-pid"................. I'll be giving the pen to the lady priest :D :thumb: (The wife, they are both priests).

I hate turning this wood for bowls, it is so hard, but for pens, it is nice as the hardness, with a skew, makes one smooth cut!

Cheers!

Well I went an dropped off my two large bags of sawdust, and I gave the priest and his wife the pens............ yes, pens.

I made one more this morning.

I took special care to pick two pieces that were actually side by side in the tree. I gave them the pens, they were blown away ;D Sure felt good to have some one react like that to your work :)

I told them the wood was from their land, their tree, and as they where a couple, the wood was cut from on piece of wood, so they were side by side in the tree.

Boy they liked that a lot!

We got to talking and they are VERY interested in me making some other items, pens, pencils, tops etc to give as presents to their supporters.

Pics of the second pen below.

grain_close_up.jpg
is a close up of the grain on the pen.
(right off the skew)

shrinewood_sanded.jpg
the pen sanded, that is #400

shrinewood_waxed_buffed.jpg
waxed and buffed

shrinewood2.jpg
Finished pen

Cheers!

Not only are the pens very nice but your thoughtfullness will add to the enjoyment for the new owners.
I'm surprised you achieved such a nice finish sanding to only 400 grit. I usually go to about 4000 on pens.

Not only are the pens very nice but your thoughtfullness will add to the enjoyment for the new owners.
I'm surprised you achieved such a nice finish sanding to only 400 grit. I usually go to about 4000 on pens.

Frank the pic is at the #400 point, I start sanding at #400, on this wood, with the skew.

I go #400 to #1500, then Wax and buff.

Cheers