jet 1642 bearings

I just changed he bearings on my 1642. I did it because you could grab the end of the shaft and physically move it to make a clunk. I changed the bearings to the Japanese sealed bearings. All went well. Unless I tighten the jam nut very tight I still get the clunk. Does this mean I need a new wave washer. Also the front bearing seems to get hot. When I put in a drive center it is very warm to the touch when I take it out. I would appreciate any help from anyone who has changed the bearings in a Jet 1642.
Thanks

PS: Took it apart again this morning. I seem to be running out of threads with the jam nut. hmmm.
Too bad I don't have a service station near here.

I just changed he bearings on my 1642. I did it because you could grab the end of the shaft and physically move it to make a clunk. I changed the bearings to the Japanese sealed bearings. All went well. Unless I tighten the jam nut very tight I still get the clunk. Does this mean I need a new wave washer. Also the front bearing seems to get hot. When I put in a drive center it is very warm to the touch when I take it out. I would appreciate any help from anyone who has changed the bearings in a Jet 1642.
Thanks

PS: Took it apart again this morning. I seem to be running out of threads with the jam nut. hmmm.
Too bad I don't have a service station near here.

All nomenclature is coming from this source: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-jwl1642evs-708359-wood-lathe-parts-c-32652_32854_155051.html

I will assume you are talking about the tailstock. The clunk you refer to could be happening because your handwheel is not moved far enough forward on your lead screw which screws into your quill. So, loosen the tailstock quill handle, slide the quill (which slides the lead screw) back as far as you can (maybe even make the clunk sound). Then tighten your tailstock quill handle and check the distance between your handwheel and tailstock. If there is a gap, loosen the allen screws on your handwheel and slide it forward on the lead screw. This will take up the slop and should reduce the clunk sound.

The heat you mention I assume is now at the headstock. You are turning between centers using a spur drive? If so, is it fitting correctly or not slipping on the inside creating heat from friction? Are you grossly overtightening your tailstock causing your bearing to push against the headstock and creating friction?