1 lb white or cremini mushrooms, chopped coarsely
¼ cup flour
4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
¼ tsp powdered thyme
Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
1½ cups milk

Put a couple tablespoons vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan of about 3½ quarts capacity. On medium heat, heat the oil and add the onion and stir for about 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and stir to coat. After about another five minutes or until you get sick of stirring, add the flour and stir to coat. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let cook for 15 - 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, set aside about 3 spoonsful of mushroom pieces, then blend the contents of the saucepan with a stick blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender. Return the reserved mushrooms to the pot. Add the salt, pepper, thyme and a dash or two of Worcester sauce, then the lemon (if you wish), then stir and taste. Adjust the seasoning. Add the milk and stir, then serve hot. Garnish with a dot of cream or butter, and sprinkle some more pepper.

I've been making this one for so long I don't need the recipe. I prefer cremini mushrooms because of the colour. White mushrooms make an anaemic looking soup.

Last edited: