Turning Smock What Do You Like?

Stuart Ablett

I have a Lee Valley Turners Smock,
67k2004s1.jpg

I like everything about it, with one exception, the cuffs, they are elastic cuffs and they work very well at keeping the curlies out, but they seem to attract and hold lots of small curlies.

So for those of you that have a turners smock, or something else that works for you, what do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it?

The one I have now is falling apart, I've used the heck out of it, and it is time for a new smock.

Cheers!

Could you spray the cuffs with something that would prevent the "small curlies" from sticking? Like Silicone or similar? If they do stick, just a shake might drop them of??? :huh:

Maybe you can find something with short sleeves or with a cuff that is made of the same material but with a Velcro closure.

My turning club has a lady who makes ours. Comes complete with the club logo and our name. Mine is a short sleeve. My arms shake off pretty well. :rofl:

So, maybe find a seamstress and use your old one as a pattern with some new ideas tossed in.

I have a Sorby smock, which isn't too different than the LV one. Same problem with the elastic cuffs, but I guess it doesn't bother me too much. I have though about cutting the sleeves off, more for comfort....it gets a little warm on a lot of days.

I don't use one and just plan on a shower right after a turning session. I tried wearing a hospital gown, the butt exposure type, that didn't work very well. Often I wear a carpenters apron. Handy because the big pockets catch a lot of the curlies. :p

Stu, seventy bucks seems expensive but I miss my old smock. The janitor that stole my pens also stole my smock! I prefer a long sleeved one as at school it keeps debris off of my school shirts. At home in the summer, just my tee shirt untucked of course! Might have to contact lee valley soon. Thanks.

I use the CSUSA smock. 3/4 length sleeves with velcro neck and sleeve closure. 2 big pockets in the back and a pen pocket in the front. Works very well and it's oversized for a sweatshirt when it's cold.

I know a lot of guys use these cotton welding shirts, but they lack the back pocket, and I'd really miss that.

Here

41URKvhOhQL._SX425_.jpg

It is inexpensive as well, but the lack of the rear pocket would bug me.

I might just try the Craft Supplies one this time around heading into summer anyways.

I was just hoping that there was something out there that I was not aware of, being over here and such.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm not a smock wearer - sometimes wear a shop apron* if I'm turning something really wet that's slinging water - but I have to ask: What do you keep in the back pocket of your smock?

* I wear the apron inside out so the large front pocket doesn't get filled with curlies.

I'm not a smock wearer - sometimes wear a shop apron* if I'm turning something really wet that's slinging water - but I have to ask: What do you keep in the back pocket of your smock?

* I wear the apron inside out so the large front pocket doesn't get filled with curlies.

Caliper
Vernier caliper
15cm ruler
Paint Marker
Dust Be Gone mask
iPhone in iPod mode listening to a Podcast
and other stuff too.

I find it convenient especially for the first three items, I used to set my vernier caliper down and then have to hunt for the darn thing, now I put it in the back pocket all the time.

Stuart, I just turn the elastic cuffs under the sleeve. My wife was very unhappy when she started finding wood chips in the lint filter and in some clothes.

A friend of mine who turns a lot of green wood went to the fabric store and bought a long length of plastic coated tablecloth fabric. He folded it in half lengthwise and cut a hole large enough for his head to stick through. He wears his poncho a la Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. He secures it around his waist with a length of rope. I crack up every time I see this large man in his red and white checkered poncho.

Last edited:
OK, the little note at the top of the page made me feel guilty about not participating for so long. I do read you guys regularly but don't feel I can add much most of the time. However, I too am on a quest for a good smock. I have the Rockler shop apron with velcro neck, better than nothing. Mostly I'm in a t-shirt and figure on a shower. I've tried the Craft supplies and it's a very good configuration, but, it gets thick under the neck if you look down a lot. I think it has been improved with lighter fabric but you still have the heavy part of a zipper and the velcro tabs at your throat. I even suggested they switch to a chef's cut where the zipper would be off-center. The AAW version is nice if you're in a cold climate but too hot and a lot of static electricity if in a dry climate. If I must cover up, my favorite so far is an old cotton turtleneck that I cut off the sleeves to half length and split the neck in the back so it's not too tight. But with that it's still a pullover and that's less than ideal. So far not worth the cost to have one custom made.

Caliper
Vernier caliper
15cm ruler
Paint Marker
Dust Be Gone mask
iPhone in iPod mode listening to a Podcast
and other stuff too.

I find it convenient especially for the first three items, I used to set my vernier caliper down and then have to hunt for the darn thing, now I put it in the back pocket all the time.

The calipers are sitting on the top of my headstock (although not the vernier...I very seldom measure anything that closely on the lathe). Ruler? Bwahahahahaha! I started turning to get away from taking measurements, lol. :D The lumber crayon and pencil are also on top of the headstock, within easy reach. I use the lumber crayon for rough marking, and the pencil is mostly for show, because as I said, I'm not measuring anything that I don't have to. :) (I do use a pencil if I'm finding the center of a round or square blank, though.) I wear a Trend, so I don't keep another dust mask around. And my iPhone/iPad is over on the countertop, plugged into a boom box (and a wall charger).

So for me the lack of a pocket wouldn't be an issue, but I can see how it'd be handy for you. Same with the smock itself. Since you sometimes go straight from the Dungeon to work, I can see the need to be able to clean up quickly. For me, if I happen to get some dust in the house, I don't really care what the wife says...the house is half mine, and if I want to track dust into it, than I'm gonna track dust into it. Good thing I happen to like sleeping on the couch, though. :D