Heartbleed encryption bug - Changer your PW

Sheesh! And where to begin? Anybody read the whole article? Won't help until the affected sites make the fix. I have not received any alerts other than here so I am bummfuzzled (technical term) as to what to do.

So how do I remember my current passwords in order to change them??:huh:

Simply refer to your password protect file that lists all your accounts (by a vague nickname) and the current version of your password in use :).

Selecting passwords that are identical or easy to remember "at the time" makes no sense. If you have more than a dozen accounts, a systematic method is best. Decide on a pattern that meets most requirements (it ticks me off that some sites require an alpha character in the first position while others only accept certain punctuation characters but, alas) and then have a modification for each site. No, not rover1, rover2, rover3, what on earth would you do when you get a new dog!?! You'll have to try just a bit harder or just not go 'outside'. :D The fact is that if you have logins at locations you don't recall, that is a serious exposure. Close accounts you don't use (if possible) and update those you do. I just checked and I have whittled it down to just under 60 accounts that I have to use at work. Passwords for many of these get changed regularly. About half fall under a centralized access system so I really only have to keep track of 40 or so.

Last edited:
Simply refer to your password protect file that lists all your accounts (by a vague nickname) and the current version of your password in use :).

Selecting passwords that are identical or easy to remember "at the time" makes no sense. If you have more than a dozen accounts, a systematic method is best. Decide on a pattern that meets most requirements (it ticks me off that some sites require an alpha character in the first position while others only accept certain punctuation characters but, alas) and then have a modification for each site. No, not rover1, rover2, rover3, what on earth would you do when you get a new dog!?! You'll have to try just a bit harder or just not go 'outside'. :D The fact is that if you have logins at locations you don't recall, that is a serious exposure. Close accounts you don't use (if possible) and update those you do. I just checked and I have whittled it down to just under 60 accounts that I have to use at work. Passwords for many of these get changed regularly. About half fall under a centralized access system so I really only have to keep track of 40 or so.

Yep, I was only half kidding...I have a pretty good system that I use to change all my passwords to apps, email, etc on a regular basis. I work as a vendor inside a customer's home office so I have to jump thru hoops several times a day to get to my employer's web access/software so I had to develop something that I could remember and change regularly. Must include an upper case, lower case, symbol and number and be at least 9 characters long. Also every 6 months I have to get security clearance, new username and passwords in order to gain access to the customer's systems...been here over 7 years, but they still don't trust me I guess. Meanwhile most people that work here have a sticky note on the monitor with all their usernames/passwords for everyone to see. :huh:

Regardless if it may be "early" to change one's PW because the SSL breach hasn't been fixed yet, I think it's a good idea to do this frequently anyway, i.e. every 6 months. Plus, if they are just now finding out about this breach after it's been here for a couple years, why not do it any way using a "secure/complex" PW on financial accounts just as a course of habit. It's my understanding that the URLs using the SSL are the ones beginning with https vs. http. So, that might suggest if you have any vulnerabilities.