Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really? You Want Me To Do What...?

Really? You Want Me To Do What...?

I sort of lost touch with the Japanese woodturning scene back in 2009, there was a major split in the group and there was a bunch of group politics stuff going on that I just had no time for, both sides wanted me to join their side, so I just declined both offers. Understand this was not a pitched battle, it was not nasty, it was just a large group that had some different ideas about where the group was to go. I have remained friends with both sides of the divide but I've just not participated in either groups events. Now a few years on it looks like things have shaken out into one main group again, the JWA.

I got a phone call the other day from the head of the Japanese Woodturner's Association, he wondered how I was doing and what I'd been doing recently, it was nice to catch up, he has some business in an area not far from my shop, so he asked if he could drop by for a visit, I said sure, it would be nice to catch up.

The long and the short of it is that they are having a seminar on the 15th of June and he really wants me to put on a demonstration for the the group. This is a paid gig, and he wants me to do a few things, but one in particular is the Toothpick holder that I did a few years ago, you can watch the video below.

I'm happy to do this, and he has arranged for me to do the Sunday of their two day seminar. This could be for between 40 and 50 people!

Now I've got to get a woodturning biography together, print up a portfolio and make up some hand outs as well as some examples of the toothpick holders. I've also got to plan for some other things just because I like to be prepared, so I'm asking for some suggestions of items that can be turned easily by anyone, and things that don't take hours to make, or are over complicated but are fun to do. One of the reasons they do these events are to encourage the members to try new stuff. I guess one reason they want me to come along is because I'll add a bit of international flair to their group, and the same old guys doing the same old demos gets boring, so they are casting a wider net. I'm honored to be asked, but I'm also a bit intimidated, I'll have to dust off the lathe and do some turning, I've been a bit busy with other things lately, but I'm sure I can still do the spinny thing.

So please give me some suggestions for doing some turnings and if you have any suggestions on giving a demo that would be great too!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Don't have any suggestions for you, but thanks for the video ...you had a nice audience there, betting you'll do fine with a larger one! Have fun!!!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

I am in now way familiar with Japanese cooking styles, but maybe some utility items...small salt and peppermill...CSUSA type, salt box, pizza cutter, wooden spoons...easy fun stuff.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...So please give me some suggestions for doing some turnings and if you have any suggestions on giving a demo that would be great too!...
    Finger tops?

http://www.turnedtreasures.com/proje...inger_top.html
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've seen small boxes with screw on lids. They look pretty hard to build but are pretty cool.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Hmm bit of tricky one, maybe something like this as it will appeal to most and as simple as it is, it aint so easy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagesCAJAILKJ.jpg  
    Hughie

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Not a bad idea, but I know they have done them to death, tops are a cultural thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Those are very cool, thanks, might be a good one to try, won't take long and I can have a bunch done to show. Not that they eat a lot of snacks here, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I am in now way familiar with Japanese cooking styles, but maybe some utility items...small salt and peppermill...CSUSA type, salt box, pizza cutter, wooden spoons...easy fun stuff.
    Not bad, but they don't seem to go for the "Make a handle" on stuff here, don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I've seen small boxes with screw on lids. They look pretty hard to build but are pretty cool.
    I've not done screw on lids, but I know one of the senior members have done a lot of them, thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by neil mackay View Post
    Hmm bit of tricky one, maybe something like this as it will appeal to most and as simple as it is, it aint so easy
    That looks very much like a miso bowl, sort of like giving ice to the eskimos, but, if I did it well, I could be giving icecream to the eskimos.

I think I'm going to do the toothpick holder, lots of good stuff to show, how to run the lathe, and how to do jam chucks etc, finishing on the fly and following a set recipe of sorts, I'm just not sure it that will fill an entire day. Then again they take a lot of smoke breaks, and my "Whole Day" may not be the same as theirs.....

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    and my "Whole Day" may not be the same as theirs.....
    Ya think!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Seriously.

A salt box?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed