Really? You Want Me To Do What...?

Stuart Ablett

I sort of lost touch with the Japanese woodturning scene back in 2009, there was a major split in the group and there was a bunch of group politics stuff going on that I just had no time for, both sides wanted me to join their side, so I just declined both offers. Understand this was not a pitched battle, it was not nasty, it was just a large group that had some different ideas about where the group was to go. I have remained friends with both sides of the divide but I've just not participated in either groups events. Now a few years on it looks like things have shaken out into one main group again, the JWA.

I got a phone call the other day from the head of the Japanese Woodturner's Association, he wondered how I was doing and what I'd been doing recently, it was nice to catch up, he has some business in an area not far from my shop, so he asked if he could drop by for a visit, I said sure, it would be nice to catch up.

The long and the short of it is that they are having a seminar on the 15th of June and he really wants me to put on a demonstration for the the group. This is a paid gig, and he wants me to do a few things, but one in particular is the Toothpick holder that I did a few years ago, you can watch the video below.

I'm happy to do this, and he has arranged for me to do the Sunday of their two day seminar. This could be for between 40 and 50 people!

Now I've got to get a woodturning biography together, print up a portfolio and make up some hand outs as well as some examples of the toothpick holders. I've also got to plan for some other things just because I like to be prepared, so I'm asking for some suggestions of items that can be turned easily by anyone, and things that don't take hours to make, or are over complicated but are fun to do. One of the reasons they do these events are to encourage the members to try new stuff. I guess one reason they want me to come along is because I'll add a bit of international flair to their group, and the same old guys doing the same old demos gets boring, so they are casting a wider net. I'm honored to be asked, but I'm also a bit intimidated, I'll have to dust off the lathe and do some turning, I've been a bit busy with other things lately, but I'm sure I can still do the spinny thing.

So please give me some suggestions for doing some turnings and if you have any suggestions on giving a demo that would be great too!

Cheers!

I am in now way familiar with Japanese cooking styles, but maybe some utility items...small salt and peppermill...CSUSA type, salt box, pizza cutter, wooden spoons...easy fun stuff.

Not a bad idea, but I know they have done them to death, tops are a cultural thing here.

Those are very cool, thanks, might be a good one to try, won't take long and I can have a bunch done to show. Not that they eat a lot of snacks here, but still...

I am in now way familiar with Japanese cooking styles, but maybe some utility items...small salt and peppermill...CSUSA type, salt box, pizza cutter, wooden spoons...easy fun stuff.
Not bad, but they don't seem to go for the "Make a handle" on stuff here, don't know why.

I've seen small boxes with screw on lids. They look pretty hard to build but are pretty cool.
I've not done screw on lids, but I know one of the senior members have done a lot of them, thanks for the idea.

Hmm bit of tricky one, maybe something like this as it will appeal to most and as simple as it is, it aint so easy

That looks very much like a miso bowl, sort of like giving ice to the eskimos, but, if I did it well, I could be giving icecream to the eskimos.

I think I'm going to do the toothpick holder, lots of good stuff to show, how to run the lathe, and how to do jam chucks etc, finishing on the fly and following a set recipe of sorts, I'm just not sure it that will fill an entire day. Then again they take a lot of smoke breaks, and my "Whole Day" may not be the same as theirs.....

Cheers!

View attachment 82323
This idea was for a club comp.http://www.mandurahwoodturners.com/
It's a condiment tray which includes a few different facets of turning.
The base is recessed to take a Lazy Susan. This one is about 15cm diameter, but could also be made bigger for the BBQ .

HTH
Col

Thanks Col.

I need a back up plan as they want me to do the entire day, so I've gone back to making my square bowls.....
IMG_7649.JPG

IMG_7650.JPG

I can knock one of these out in about 30 minutes, they are fun and not that hard to do.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7