Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a tractor - YaaHOO!

Looking for a tractor - YaaHOO!

and I could use some help.

What I have in mind is a John Deere in the 400 series. They were powered with ~20 HP engines and have hydraulic point fore and aft, maybe even mid point for the deck. I want the ability to put a blade on the front, and use a 3-point hitch in the back. These particular machines were used a lot for snow blowing. They have a lot of power for a yard tractor.

Years ago I had a compact tractor for my acre plus. Way to big for what I have now. If there is another brand with those features I am willing to consider it. I'll go as far as MI to get it. Budget is upwards of $2K, but I hope that would include at least the mowing deck. I have found them for ~$1200 and that would be super. Less would be even better.

I am watching eBay and Craigslist but either they are gone in a flash or the seller cannot get around the idea of selling to someone so far away. Little do they know how many friends I have.

So here is the deal. If you are willing to keep an eye out, I will contact the seller (or you may, especially if you happen to know the person). If the price is right and the machine is as represented, I will express mail a cashier's check to you. If you then could pick it up and hold it for me, I will plan a Larry type road trip to come and get it. No money on your part and I will pay you fuel costs for looking at it and dragging it home with you.

A lot to ask, I know, but you are a generous lot and there may be some who would be willing to do this for me. You would not be held responsible for the machine. Just check that it is as represented. I'd even consider one with a bad engine, but it would have to be really cheap. Re-power is $1500 and up.

Then you would become part of the saga of Five Talents. And another great road trip to boot.

Thanks in advance.

FOUND ONE! Seller will hold. I will leave here in Bruiser to go get Big John on April 21. Headed to KC, MO. Maybe Darren's up for a Family visit. And I'll look for other stops along the way. Trip planning later today! Yippee!
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 04-11-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Good luck. $1,200.00 doesn't buy much in the way of tractors. Around me you will see a lot of 8N Ford's but at that price they need restoring.
    I have had three antiques and they required constant attention. Look for farm auctions, some models are not popular and bargain prices sometimes can be got. There are several tractor discussion forums, try those. I found parts for my antiques through them.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Knowing you're experienced with motorcycles, how about a compact 2-wheeler?

More photos here:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stor...cub-tra?in=632
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Carol, I infrequently visit a tractor forum. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...archid=1031749

You might find some things out here. Kubota or Kioti are names that come up as good for that sized tractor. Old 8N and 9N Fords are at best overglorified wheel barrows, a pain to get in/on with a loader attached. Most old tractors you get on from the back (near the pto), newer tractors you enter the deck from the front. There are a ton of variables. You have a past ownership to glean from and that will be beneficial. Some of the chinese knock offs have a good up front price but are questionable. Parts have to be waited on, no dealership network, etc.

I gave $3,400.00 for my Oliver 1650 (gas) and put a loader on it I had. But I use it to move 1800# round bales from both ends.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/grd/4392907198.html

Or: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/grd/4417558774.html
    which gives you a ROPS (roll over protective structure)

Or: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/grd/4417252267.html

Or: http://kokomo.craigslist.org/grd/4414510022.html
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I am watching the tractor forums. I have seen more than a few in the above price range, so I am hopeful. I am working on one in the KC area today. Needs a motor though,

Keepin' at it. Thanks for your help. And thanks, Jon. Some too big or too expensive. The AC had nothing but pictures, so not sure about hydraulics but I may look into it later.

And thanks to Frank for his best wishes and to Vaughn for his creativity. I suspect this last one was from the baker's brother-in-law?
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Carol Reed

Carol, you bought yourself a tiny bit of land, and you're going to put a compact house on it, plus a shop, and you've talked about it being a tight squeeze what with the septic and all .... and now you're buying a tractor.

This forum has the most interesting stories!!!
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

You forgot the storage shed, Art.

Remember the story of Goldilocks? "Just right!" LOL!
    ++++++

Carol Reed

with gasoline at 3.50 plus a gallon, have you calculated the costs of schlepping a heavy tractor cross country?
    maybe it pays to pay a little more and purchase one a bit more expensive on the west coast?

btw, I admire your energy.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    FOUND ONE! Seller will hold. I will leave here in Bruiser to go get Big John on April 21. Headed to KC, MO. Maybe Darren's up for a Family visit. And I'll look for other stops along the way. Trip planning later today! Yippee!
    Yup! I would be. PM me your approximate arrival date.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

What the heck are you going to use a tractor for on such a tiny piece of land. Just curious ???
    Faith, Hope & Charity