Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the way to KC

On the way to KC

Week from today I head out across the states from CA to KS to pick up Big John.

Stops planned in Strawberry, AZ Sunday night at a friend's and Albuquerque Monday night with Vaughn. Looking for a visit in SW KS or thereabouts on Tuesday night. In KC Wednesday night with Darren. In Republic, MO Thursday night with Jay. A visit in SW OK or NW TX would be welcome on Friday. Back in mid NM on Saturday, maybe Socorro. Arizona Sunday and Monday with friends. Back home in CA on Tuesday.

Thus far visits are arranged in AZ, Albuquerque, KC, and Republic, MO. If you'd like a visit in any of the other spots, let me know. I bring gifts, offer transportation for tools or wood changing hands along the way. Or whatever is reasonable. There will be pictures and maybe even cookies.

I am passionate about meeting family members face to face. So don't feel you have to be a regular member here or offer exquisite dining or anything else. A chance to meet is all I ask. A recommendation of an inexpensive clean place to spend the night, a bunch of good conversation, a little swapping of tales, maybe a cold beverage and a bite is my plan. I will leave you with a blessing as you watch my taillights moving on down the road.

Just PM me, or post here and we will work something out.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Carl,
    What is your schedule when you hit the great state of Missouri? I know you will be picking up tractor in KC and then down to Republic. As I live in Carthage I would like to spin over and meet the pair of you. You are also cordially invited to stop at my digs as it is on the way back west just outside Joplin. Would love to meet Jay as just bought some stuff from him.
    Sincerely
    David

Chains and binders. Straps stretch with moisture and temp changes. Minimum 4 hitching points from the tractor to the trailer. Make sure your load is centered with more weight on tongue than on back. Use a pipe to tighten the binders and be careful when releasing them. Seems awkward, but hook them so you are pulling down to lock them. Enjoy, be careful and have fun.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Thanks, Jon. But no trailer. Don't have one heavy enough. So it goes in the back of the full size pickup. According to tractordata.com, it should fit. Barely. Bring ramps and tie downs. You are right about chain binders though I no longer own any. And my chains are lost in a couple of trailers for a while. Though that may also slow down thieves. One guy on a tractor forum I visit when to get a tractor. Overnight at the motel, the straps on his tractor were cut and the machine went missing. Gave me something to think about!

I have a couple of steel cables I had planned to lock around it. Was going to use 2" ratchet straps to tie it in four places. Tractor is nearly a 1000 pounds. Kinda hard to steal, but thieves work harder at not working honestly than working honestly requires as we all know.

David, I plan to be at Jay's late Thursday, April 24. I am sure he would like to meet you as well. I sure look forward to it. PM Jay and get his address.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Carol Reed

So we can look for you on the corner of 12th street and Vine? Who's your Kansas City baby?
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Remember Tennessee Ernie Ford's Big John?

That would be my KC baby.
    ++++++

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Remember Tennessee Ernie Ford's Big John?
    Wasn't that Jimmy Dean?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

To be more correct: Big BAD John. And that works too!

And that was Tennessee Ernie Ford. He was a Thursday night staple at our house in the late '50's.
    ++++++

Carol Reed

All greek to me.

But do consider wrapping it with a tarp when you park overnight. That at least keeps it out of eyesight. I would still buy some more chain and while strapped down chain and lock the whole lot together. (Belts and braces ) Make life as difficult as possible for any crook. You one heck of a lady you got my admiration and i agree nothing beats a roadtrip.
    cheers

It would also help if some of the family adopted her for an over night stay, or at a motel see if you can get a room where you can back up right in front of the room. God speed on your trip Carol.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart