Walnut urn for a friend's father

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
File this under the "you can't always build what you want" file. A little busy for my taste but this is what the customer wanted. The urn is walnut the palm trees are maple and the cross is Ebony.

A friend of mine did the scroll saw work on the palm trees. It started out as 1/8 inch maple but once mounted I was able to send it down flush with the face of the walnut. I deliberately left the sapwood because the customer wanted it to appear as though the palm trees were growing on an island.
4eza6eju.jpg
ezy8a8ah.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry that piece had to be built, but man you did it justice! The sapwood, the palm trees, the cross, beautiful. If that is what they wanted, they had to be 110% happy with your creation. Great, great job Rennie.

What an eye for design! You are an artist, my friend, whether you want to accept that or not. And the craftsmanship goes without saying. Very nice.

The customer may always be right but, your use of the colors in that walnut deserve the prize. Great use of natural coloration.

Beautifully done, Rennie. :clap: You do consistently fine work. :thumb:

(By the way, I took the liberty of editing the title of the thread to fix a typo. I'm pretty sure it's a walnut urn, not a walnut turn.) :)

Thanks to all for the kind words. The friend was very satisfied with the results!

Beautifully done, Rennie. :clap: You do consistently fine work. :thumb:

(By the way, I took the liberty of editing the title of the thread to fix a typo. I'm pretty sure it's a walnut urn, not a walnut turn.) :)
Yes, thanks. I've been doing most of my posting from my phone lately and the voice recognition, as good as it is, still has trouble with some words - and I often forget to check!

Thanks to all for the kind words. The friend was very satisfied with the results!

Yes, thanks. I've been doing most of my posting from my phone lately and the voice recognition, as good as it is, still has trouble with some words - and I often forget to check!

Even if you had noticed it, I still don't think there's a way to edit the topic title from your phone. I spotted the typo last night while I was out eating dinner, but I had to wait until I got home to edit the title from my PC. ;) Still, I love the voice recognition...I use it a lot myself. :thumb: