carter stabliser

larry merlau

does anyone here have one on there small bandsaw, 14 to 15" models, and where did you get it and how do you like it? looking to find one for a general 160 15" bandsaw.

I have one & I bought it directly from Carter (I think -can't remember). This may help http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-products/band-saw-stabilizer. The stabilizers are available for a good variety of bandsaws.
I have used it a few times, most recently with a 1/8" x 8 tpi blade to cut some tight corners. Works well, but you must remember to "spring load" the blade & then re-center the blade before using. If the blade is not spring loaded 1/8", the it will come off the stabilizer when flexing around tight curves.

Last edited:
After installing the stabilizer & the blade is "centered" on the wheel, pull the stabilizer forward toward the operator 1/8". This will cause the blade to run towards the near edge on the wheel. So now re-center the blade on the wheel. With the blade pushed forward by the stabilizer & the blade re-centered on the wheel, the blade is now "spring loaded". This will hold the blade against the stabilizer when cutting tight corners. The blade will flex, but will still be supported by the groove in the stabilizer. Otherwise, if not spring loaded, the blade will tend to be pulled/pushed away from the stabilizer, i.e. out of the groove, when cutting corners & will be difficult to hold tight radii.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gmzra_5_c starting about the 0.30.

Last edited:
I've been toying with the idea of replacing my european bandsaw guides by Carter's ones, but I find them quite expensive and I would have to make some customization to my bandsaw in order to install them. I've seen a video where they afirm that that type of guides is more noisy than european ones.

Has any of you had some experience with them. ?

I bought a Carter Stabilizer at The Woodworking Shows in Tampa a few weeks ago. I also bought some new blades I'd been needing for my 14" Griz. In addition to replacing the upper guides with it as directed, I removed the lower guide assembly completely. I tested it first with a 1/4", 4tpi blade and easily made the following cuts.
Stuff_4.jpg

Since making the test cuts, I installed a 3/16", 4tpi blade and checked it with the same results. My next step is to try a band saw box.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my european bandsaw guides by Carter's ones, but I find them quite expensive and I would have to make some customization to my bandsaw in order to install them. I've seen a video where they afirm that that type of guides is more noisy than european ones.

Has any of you had some experience with them. ?

Toni, the stabilizer is not the same as the full Carter guide assembly. The stabilizer costs about $80. Here are links to:

Carter guides

Carter stabilizer