Truck seat cover upholstery help

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Brusier got a new windshield today. Tomorrow is put the new seat covers on. Bucket seats, built-in headrest, arm rests, and no air bags. New seat covers are saddle blanket style. Wanted cloth, so there you are.

These bucket seats are not original with the truck. It had a busted down bench seat. Like sitting on a roller skating rink. The bucket seats were collected from a salvage yard. They have the original upholstery nicely sun damaged and worn.

But.

The driver's seat is worn down badly, especially under the left buttock. So I picked up some 1/2" upholstery foam at Joanne's today. I have this idea to pad the left side and build up the lumbar some. Any suggestions? Or what not to do?

Layer the foam until it fits right? Glue it together so it stays put? What kind of glue? Planned to pull the new seat covers over what's there. No time (or expertise) for a 'real' upholstery job. Got quotes at $500 per seat. Yikes! This is a truck, fer cryin' out loud!

Looking for the collective knowledge of the forum.

3M 77 spray can adhesive works well, and as I recall, the glued pieces can be separated and repositioned for a few minutes. The 3M 90 spray adhesive is a stronger, more tenacious bond. Either should work for what you're wanting.

If there is no difference in the bucket seats, when putting them in one of my vehicles, I would put the most comfortable one behind the steering wheel. See if the other one is more comfy. If you turn the seat upside down many times the material is "hog ringed" to the frame, pair of needle nosed pliers and twist the ring open, lay back the vinyl, install new cushion, relay vinyl and hog ring back together.

3M 77 spray can adhesive works well, and as I recall, the glued pieces can be separated and repositioned for a few minutes. The 3M 90 spray adhesive is a stronger, more tenacious bond. Either should work for what you're wanting.

The higher the number, the stronger the adhesion. The lower the number, the smoother it will spray.
When I was diddling with some stuff there was also a general concept with spray adhesives. Spray only one surface and you can get it apart. Spray both surfaces and forget it. I don't remember if that also applies to the higher numbers like the 77 and 90 that Vaughn mentioned. The people at UFO would know.

Carol, have you talked with the people at UFO in Oceanside---About a mile from my house. The "U" in UFO is for upholstery. "F" is for Factory and "O" is for Outlet. They carry many types and densities of foam. They carry a very large selection of upholstery fabrics. They have tools for sale. They have knowledge for free. Off topic---They have foam(s) for mattresses---make an old bed feel like new.

UFO is on Melrose between Hwy 78 and Oceanside Blvd. It is on the East side of the road. It is a fun place to visit---and you could come by and see me (WHAT A TREAT).

I will look up their number---1120 No Melrose Dr. Vista, CA (notice how accurate I was telling you which town they are in). 760-941-2345. I didn't know it; they have a place in National City also. 1918 Roosevelt Ave.

Enjoy,
JimB

Yes, Jim. I do know about UFO. Been there many times in the past.

But this is quick and dirty recovering of the seats with adding some additional foam in the drivers seat. Can't swap the seats because of the arm rests. Thought about that when I first put them in the truck.

I bought seat covers for $30 at AutoZone, some foam from Joanne's for $5 and will invest in can of 3M 77. Two seats recovered for ~$50. I hope. I'll take pictures.

Want some tushy comfort for the ride to KC and back. So time is of the essence.

As for visiting, been on my mind. After I get back from KC, let's do lunch. I know a place we can get a great salad! :)

Last edited: