Glass Wearers....What Do You Wear?...Any Alternatives?

Mike Turner

I wear prescription glasses..Have to wear safety glasses at work too....Recently I broke my extra ..spare safety glasses I wear in shop at home..I cant break my "work" glasses or then I would have to wear the clumsy glasses that you wear over your street glasses. Anyone have any alternatives I havent though of? I use a faceshield in shop too but dont want to wear my regular glasses in shop. Reading glasses under a faceshield but Im not fond of them!

Last edited:
I wear metal frame prescription safety glasses and find them incredibly tough. It is important to remember that non-safety glasses are actually more dangerous than no glasses at all. The design of the frame and lens/mounting is very different in a pair safety glasses. My regular glasses frame is designed to keep the lenses from falling out which makes sense :rolleyes:. Safety glasses are designed to keep the lens from being pushed into your eyes/face :eek:. My current frames capture the lens rim, front and rear and all around to keep it from escaping unless the material fails. I use the largest lens area I can get because this equates to a larger safety area and less peripheral obstruction. After living with Rx safety glasses, the idea of going back to a belt and suspenders solution (Rx glasses under something else) just would not fly for me.

Safety-001.jpg

Last edited:
I am EXTREMELY fussy with my glasses. To me - they are part of my every day existence and I don't cheap out at all.

I have transitions Crystalis or something like that. Veralux lenses. They are laser cut - not ground. I have my transitions veralux glasses for distance - like driving of walking around. I also have a set of transitions veralux glasses for the computer. Both with special coatings. Those run me 600 each pair. I also have single lense good quality not veralux sunglasses.

Coming from an industrial manufacturing background - some companies do not let me in with my street glasses. I need the over the glasses plastic crap.

If I was employed in certain companies the only option I have is industrial safety glasses - with side shields. I HATE them. Either that or find another job -- That is exactly what I did - but not for that reason alone. NOW - I am "lucky" to be able to wear my Veralux glasses.

In my home shop - I just wear my glasses.

I wear metal frame prescription safety glasses and find them incredibly tough. It is important to remember that non-safety glasses are actually more dangerous than no glasses at all. The design of the frame and lens/mounting is very different in a pair safety glasses. My regular glasses frame is designed to keep the lenses from falling out which makes sense :rolleyes:. Safety glasses are designed to keep the lens from being pushed into your eyes/face :eek:. My current frames capture the lens rim, front and rear and all around to keep it from escaping unless the material fails. I use the largest lens area I can get because this equates to a larger safety area and less peripheral obstruction. After living with Rx safety glasses, the idea of going back to a belt and suspenders solution (Rx glasses under something else) just would not fly for me.

View attachment 82393

Spoken like an optometrist's son.

Mike, I will PM you asking some questions that will let me give you advice that help you. Heck, I will put them here; perhaps it will help others. PM your answers to Jim C Bradley. I will be looking for them.

OK. I have a question. What shop activity sends most eye injuries to EMERGENCY?
I will insert the glasses questionnaire here to give you a bit of time to think of the answer to the above question.

Mike what do you wear glasses for: Distance?, Near?, to prevent Headaches?, Other?

What is your age?

Do you have any eye diseases? Do you have cataracts?

Do you know your glasses prescription? If so send it to me.

How far is it from the bridge of your nose to the tools that you use:
---the tip of your lathe turning tools?
---the tip of the drill in the drill press, the drill tip with a hand held drill?
---the teeth on your band saw?
---the teeth on your table saw?

Have someone else take the measurements while you assume your working position. If you try to do it yourself, you will probably obtain false data.

Remember that I have never had a problem with too much information. If you think of something, say or ask it.

Do not be hesitant to give a distance range. For example: 16” to 25” Mostly 20” with occasional 10”.

Do you have tasks that make you work above eye level?

Do you feel that your lighting is adequate?

Answer to injuries question above: Hammering or pounding. Why: Chips flying, tools breaking, work pieces breaking, poor aim, etc., etc.

Play it safe and Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
I've got a set prescription plastic safety glasses with side shields and bifocals that I can wear in the shop.

Any more though, I find my eyesight changing a bit to where the glasses are only really needed for distance.

In the shop I just make do with regular safety glasses, and sometimes find I need to use one of those magnifying visors. LOL.

I am EXTREMELY fussy with my glasses. To me - they are part of my every day existence and I don't cheap out at all.

I have transitions Crystalis or something like that. Veralux lenses. They are laser cut - not ground. I have my transitions veralux glasses for distance - like driving of walking around. I also have a set of transitions veralux glasses for the computer. Both with special coatings. Those run me 600 each pair. I also have single lense good quality not veralux sunglasses.

Coming from an industrial manufacturing background - some companies do not let me in with my street glasses. I need the over the glasses plastic crap.

If I was employed in certain companies the only option I have is industrial safety glasses - with side shields. I HATE them. Either that or find another job -- That is exactly what I did - but not for that reason alone. NOW - I am "lucky" to be able to wear my Veralux glasses.

In my home shop - I just wear my glasses.

Leo,
That is like saying, "I wear my glasses when I drive, however when I get near home I take them off and close my eyes."

I started to say, "I apologize for being so blunt." however, I DO NOT APOLOGIZE. You have a logical mind. Put it to work. Wear your safety glasses in the shop, when edging your lawn, etc. You frequently do NOT get a second chance when things go awry. Please wear your protection!!!

Protect your eyes and
Enjoy,
JimB

Dr Bradley, I was thinking of your "bluntness" last night as I started to use a grinder to cut some cold rolled steel. I turned on the grinder and then turned it off....your "bluntness" from a previous post popped into my mind and told me to put on a facesheild (since I couldn't find my safety glasses that fit over my eyeglasses). No need to apologize for giving sound advice! THANKS!! :thumb: