Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casters ???? UPDATED maybe someone has an idea

Casters ???? UPDATED maybe someone has an idea

I have need to purchase at least 12 sets of 4 casters and wondering where everyone gets there casters. Definitely not buying junk. The ones i get from LV are great but a bit deer in my mind. 4 sets there for the ones i get would set me back $166.78 after incl our taxes that makes them just under $14 per. Ones i am referring to are 3" wheel x 4 inch overall height.

And this brings up a topic which i would welcome some debate and input on.

I know you get what you pay for but my issue is, do we trust the ratings of these things anywhere? Other thing i am learning is factor in getting the wheel size correct for the load you moving. I believe what tends to happen is we do a belts and braces kind of estimation and end up with overkill. Overkill is just wasting money so how do you figure on what castor to use for what. 4 inches is also a lot of height to loose but it also helps get things off the ground.

I used to do 2 fixed and 2 with brakes but now i want all four swivel and preferably with brakes. Well the LV ones come either fixed no brake or swivel with brake so there's my reason why. Have tried the tai chi rubber ones and not going there again. Want poly like Lee Valley from now on and a bearing not just a bolt through a hole. Also need to buy some 6 or 8 inch units with a cast wheel and poly tire for my lumber cart. Although i loaded it with 6 casters they basically dont move so before i unpack and remove and replace i am gonna get the right thing this time. Cannot believe i have 600kg of wood when i transported double that amount on my trailer which only takes 500kg so there goes caster specification. Anyone have an idea of what 3/4 BB ply weighs per square foot?

Right now i am specifically looking for casters to use on my mechanical tool cabinets and if it were not for the bad experiences i have had with inflatable tires from china that are on those 8 or 10 inch casters harbor freight or our princess auto sells i would put them on as they will roll around the driveway nice. But i have found they deflate too quickly.

any views or help welcome and appreciated.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 04-29-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    cheers

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Casters/

Been buying from them for years. Good quality, good prices and good service.
    Last edited by Roger Newby; 04-17-2014 at 05:24 PM.

I just ask Dale, my wheel guy. I usually pay $8-$10 for the wheel you specify. Three inch Poly tire, swivel, real bearings, locking roll and swivel, 4" OA height. Don't remember the weight rating, but they roll when they need to. BTW, I only have 2 locking wheels. I found when I had 4 of them, I only used two anyway. It was sufficient. A few years ago I went to a 4" wheel. I was rolling on an uneven packed surface and three inch wheels got hung up. So a few bucks more.

FWIW, here is my rationalization. With my back and neck issues, avoiding further injury is well worth a little extra money spent once. Let alone every time I go to move something. The ol' cry once philosophy.

So want me to ask him if he will ship to Canada? Or to Larry for when you go get your new tool. But bear in mind, I don't have time to visit him before the tractor trip. He is local to me here in California. I do suspect he gives me a discount though. Such is life!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    if it were not for the bad experiences i have had with inflatable tires from china that are on those 8 or 10 inch casters harbor freight or our princess auto sells i would put them on as they will roll around the driveway nice. But i have found they deflate too quickly.

any views or help welcome and appreciated.
    Perhaps not relevant to the immediate problem.. but I've replaced almost all of my inflatables for shop/yard tools (dolly, wheelbarrow, and the pressure washer is pending) with the flat-free ones like these:
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...lbarrow-wheels

For shop tool/cart casters I really really like how the zambus style casters work:
    http://www.greatlakescaster.com/grea...-NYP-S-M12.php
    or the original which is better made but costs a whole lot more ( hu )
    http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262
    They don't have the wiggle/woggle problem that the other locking casters do. Whether that's a problem or not of course depends on the use case.

None of this is saving you money

Another design is to have either one set of center wheels (non swivel) or non swivel wheels on only one side (two wheel wheelbarrow style) for things you can rock up/down. For the center wheel ones you either need to have a drop down foot or similar on one end - but it allows pivoting in place and greater loads than are easily handled with the wheels on one end. The never flat wheelbarrow wheels would work well for either of these setups I think (but you need an axle rod so.. add a coupel of $'s there - a cold rolled rod of the right diameter should work fine)

What is the floor surface like and what are you moving? the answers to these questions will start you down the right path. In my suburban garage floor shop I use these (1351 and 1354) and these (141051 and 141052) depending what was on sale at the time. There are some differences but, in use, the experience is identical.

I used to use 4 swivels but, controlling heavy objects in a crowded space with 4 swivels results in back strain and damaged bystanders more than I cared for. 2 swivel and 2 fixed is not as maneuverable but, is more controlled in maneuvering ;-)

The side affixed, cam-style locks are pretty weak so I have gotten rid of all those or relegated them to non-locking roles. The dual lock (roll and rotation) serve me best. I discovered hat simply locking the roll still allowed unexpected pivot when applying lateral force (like when using a tool). So, I restate that what you are rolling on and what you are rolling around will dictate the best caster for your needs. HTH.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    and these (141051 and 141052) .. There are some differences but, in use, the experience is identical.
    Hmm, I've had mixed luck with those double locking casters. The double lock still seems to allow some wiggle on the ones I've tried - maybe these are enough better that its not a problem? How much that annoys me depends of course on the use case - for a bench or tool stand I found it mostly unusable, but for a storage cabinet it didn't really matter.

I have four, 3" casters under my bandsaw. They are the standard HD ones, and work fine on the shed floor and the driveway. The 2" ones would get hung up occasionally.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I use these exclusively! http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...4-14-Tall.aspx

I buy only swivel locking. My table saw, SCMS and the out feed/downdraft each have four swivel locking casters of this brand from wood craft. In tight spaces I need my mobile bases to move in any direction needed with out the need to move them back and forth to get them to where I need them to go. And with all of them having the capability to lock if doesn't matter which two I lock.

Thanks all you guys are making Lv look cheap but I think i may have found a source for the same thing woodcraft is offering but half the price. Until i get the quote on my potential order of now 16 I will hold off sharing the source but it could be good for us. Anyone interested in some sort of group buy? Have not looked into volume discounts but i expect there could be some.

@Glenn I hear ya loud and clear but as Alan says having 4 swivel allows for greater maneuverability in really tight spaces which i have already witnessed in this current garage, which by the way has cracks in the floor wide enough for those wheels on your first example to basically get nicely set in. I can now understand why there is such a range. I also agree the locking mechanisms on the side are a joke they cause more jamming in my view that function on a swivel unit with those types of locking mechanism you never know if its locked or not, imagine having 4. I put that style on in house keyboard stand i made recently. Don't even bother trying to use the lock mechanism.

@Ryan i would love to use those non inflatable tires but the price of the wheels relative the rest of the cabinet would then be so out of kilter to me i would not enjoy the overall project. They just too expensive for my amount of use.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    @Ryan i would love to use those non inflatable tires but the price of the wheels relative the rest of the cabinet would then be so out of kilter to me i would not enjoy the overall project. They just too expensive for my amount of use.
    Yeah even at only 2 of the northern ones you're pushing $60. I did mention I wasn't saving you any money

This one's quite a bit cheaper for similar:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/materia...ire-42427.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch...ire-35459.html