Steering Wheel Locks

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Any recommendations with club like steering wheel locks for Bruiser? Or other deterrents within reason price-wise?

I'd like for the truck to still be there in morning!

If the people with ulterior motives decide to take your truck, the lock will create more damage when they cut the thing off.
Park in a lighted area close as possible to front office and back in. All will be well cause we are all praying for you.
David

Pull the coil wire or even disconnect the battery, make it hard and the scum usually move on...& besides, you have the best security> faith that the big guy has you covered :thumb:

FWIW, those steering wheel locks are just by-passed by cutting the wheel itself...save your money from buying one and spend it on a stiff drink just before bedtime ;)

Edit: another thought, maybe check with your insurance agent about a temporary rider, at least give yourself some peace of mind!

Last edited:
Carol,

Back when "The Club" was a big sales item in auto stores---I saw one of the crappiest automobiles I have ever seen. I'm amazed it got to the parking place to park. Anyway, on the steering wheel was a brand new "the Club." It was bright red and glistening metal. It must have had some of the expensive woodworkers wax on it because it did shine brightly. The Club was probably worth twice what the automobile was worth. I've laughed at that for years.

Enjoy,
JimB

I've always liked the ignition cut off switch in the floor under the floor mat.

You have to step on it to allow it to start, it will turn over, but it will not start. Even if they bust your steering column apart to bypass your key they still must know about the switch on the floor to allow power to start, very simple to install, and in no time it becomes a habit and most people in the can don't even know you are doing it. I had an old Datsun truck back in the day, the key was on the dash and could be bypassed with bobby pin, no steering lock etc. I put that bypass switch in under the carpet, and I did not tell anyone. four or five times my truck was broken into, my cassette tapes were stolen but they could not figure out how to start the truck, once found it with the hood up and the door unlocked but still there. I lent the truck to a friend and he stopped at a gas station to fill up, then could not get the truck to start. Called me and I told him to step on the floor right beside the high beam switch.... :D

True that the steering wheel can be cut and the club pulled off in seconds. +1 on pull the coil wire and take it with you. If they can't get it in under a minute, they will probably move on. If you have an automobile-type air compressor, you could also flatten a tire or just park Bruiser in my dad's driveway. ;-)

Oh, wait. Is Bruiser your car or the tractor!?!

Last edited:
Rottweiller on a long leash? Seriously, I think Scott has a great idea. Thieves don't carry disconnect switches with them. They are in a hurry & as Glenn stated, if it takes more than a minute, they'll look for another, easier, quicker vehicle to steal.

Heck, if you should decide to tray a different approach, I'd still get the disconnect switch. It's conveniently sized, portable & can be used on any car you might own.

Last edited:
I always think a lock only keeps honest people honest. If they want it they gonna get it. That's what insurance is for. Lets just say you put a steering lock on it, and you happen to wake up from a commotion going on outside to break it loose and steal your truck, then you do what? Go outside pull the trigger and next you the one spending time defending yourself from the crooks in court seeking compensation for the bullet wounds. Cheaper and more convenient to have the insurance deal with it after the event if its going to come to that. Where i came from way too many lost their lives in their front yard over a vehicle. They are replaceable. Other thing to consider is pick the location you staying at carefully. Good accommodation cannot afford to have a car park that gets frequented by car thefts its bad for business. Security costs money.

Bruiser is the truck. Big John (John Deere) is the tractor.

Bruiser is a diesel. Does it HAVE a coil? I kinda like the idea of removing a battery cable. It is pretty easy. Only takes one tool, but takes longer than a minute. First you have to discover you have a problem. Heheheheh....

I have driven by myself all over this country for decades. I have never been concerned either for my safety or security. For some reason, this time I feel some concern and feel compelled to be more prepared and aware. I know the Boss has my back, but I also was given some common sense and am expected to use it.

I have a Masterlock steering wheel lock that I used to use when I worked in Hamilton, after the first time I had my van stolen. The Masterlock has two prongs, which go either side of the yoke, forcing the thief to cut the steering wheel in two places, if that's the way they prefer to go. I often leave my King Shepherd in the car while I am going into the Mall. Nobody's going into the car with her sitting there.

Best bet is for a kill switch. I still see The Club in use. Save the steering wheel...Grab a can of Dust Off flip it upside down and freeze the Club at the gap in the steering wheel and smack it. Breaks in half. Several places make a kill switch that is hidden under the carpet or under the dash.

I've always liked the ignition cut off switch in the floor under the floor mat.

Never heard of this idea but I absolutely love it.

I told him to step on the floor right beside the high beam switch.... :D

I didn't realize you were so old that you had a high beam switch on the floor. That went out 40 years ago!

Carol, The $5 quick disconnect for the battery seems like a great idea (perhaps in addition to Stu's switch). Once it is installed, a few seconds under the hood with no tools and you are disconnected, no unusual activity to say "Look at me, I am disconnecting the battery." Apparently you can either just loosen the green knob, or completely remove it.

On one of our cars, disconnecting the battery locks the electronics and loses the preset radio stations. Be sure to take the unlock code number if you have one, to reactivate the radio.

The ignition disconnect in my wife's old Saturn was a small push-on, push-off switch installed in the bottom of the ashtray. She kept assorted hard candies in the never-used ashtray, and they hid the switch very well.

...Go outside pull the trigger and next you the one spending time defending yourself from the crooks in court seeking compensation for the bullet wounds. Cheaper and more convenient to have the insurance deal with it after the event if its going to come to that. Where i came from way too many lost their lives in their front yard over a vehicle. They are replaceable...

One common misconception among many people - including some gun owners - is that it's OK to shoot someone to stop a property crime like car theft. In my state at least, it is not. You will rightly go to jail. When I took my concealed carry course, everyone else in my class was a biker...er...Harley Davidson owner, including the instructor. At one point in the class the instructor was quizzing us on various scenarios, and he asked the group if it was legal for them to draw their gun on someone stealing their Harley. Nearly everyone raised their hand. And they were all wrong. ;-)

The ignition disconnect in my wife's old Saturn was a small push-on, push-off switch installed in the bottom of the ashtray. She kept assorted hard candies in the never-used ashtray, and they hid the switch very well.

One common misconception among many people - including some gun owners - is that it's OK to shoot someone to stop a property crime like car theft. In my state at least, it is not. You will rightly go to jail. When I took my concealed carry course, everyone else in my class was a biker...er...Harley Davidson owner, including the instructor. At one point in the class the instructor was quizzing us on various scenarios, and he asked the group if it was legal for them to draw their gun on someone stealing their Harley. Nearly everyone raised their hand. And they were all wrong. ;-)

What if they felt they were threatened with bodily harm or death?

What if they felt they were threatened with bodily harm or death?

Most states have some equivalent of a must retreat law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_retreat) where if you can get away without restorting to force you're required to do so (even in this case). The line here is a bit blurry and varies wildly by jurisdiction but for example if someone has your TV and they're running out the door shooting them is a no no in most states (Texas at least being a notable exception: http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/9.41.00.html, maybe florida as well not sure). On the other hand if they have you trapped in the corner and are threatening to smack you with it you're within your rights to defend yourself (at least in most of the US).

I think South Africa may be the only place where its still (or at least recently was) legal to boobytrap your vehicle..