Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rope Saws

Rope Saws

A friend had a tree that developed a perilous lean towards his power line after some recent wind. So we went over there after work today to see what we could do about it. Because it was leaning towards the power line but was still quite a ways from it, we could safely drop limbs starting at the top and working our way down (if we'd dropped the whole tree I'm about 50% sure it would have taken the power line down with it - it certainly would have hit it pretty hard anyway). To take off chunks of the limbs he had a rope saw - which worked waaaay better than I'd imagined they would. They are really best done as a two person operation though, with only one person it binds pretty bad because the angle is to shallow (with two people you can stand off to the sides as well )

I think the one he had was something like this: http://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-4.../dp/B0000AX849 - although not 100% positive on the exact model.

So from someone who just went from a skeptic to a believer; if you need to do some limbing and aren't to bad at flipping a rope over a limb these work pretty darn good.

I also got a couple little chunks of wood for a project out of the deal We'll see if it works out.

Last year I decided that climbing a tree with chain saw in hand was no longer for me. Cluck, cluck, etc.

For the past few years I have usually hired someone to do the trees. But at age 88 I figured I better quit. Using the rope chain saw and a neighbor might give me a few more tree trimming years---Veddy Interessting thought.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I've got a smaller version of that in my bugout bag, it does work well.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

This is a timely thread. Lots of pruning to do around here. It might even be time to rent a man lift again for the big ones.
    Larry has a couple of great telescopic pruning saw handles that go up 20 feet or more, but I haven't been able to find any locally. I have a chain saw attachment for the Stihl trimmer, but it's only about 12 feet. I'll have to give the rope saw another look. Stand from under!

Stu, can we ask what other essentials are in your bugout bag? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rideout View Post
    .......Stu, can we ask what other essentials are in your bugout bag? Just curious.
    Actually it's a bugout backpack

Passports
    Copy of important addresses and numbers
    small portable HD with pictures and other important documents
    Copy of all credit cards
    Money
    Extra meds
    basic first aid kit
    Swiss Army Knife
    Super Leatherman tool
    2 Mylar emergency blankets
    10m of paracord.
    Cell phone chargers
    Flashlight, extra batteries
    Mini Hand crank flashlight with an AM/FM radio and a USB port to charge cell phones etc
    Very mini emergency stove and pot
    A couple of lighters
    Matches
    About 10 meters of good duct tape rolled up in a mini roll
    A dozen 12" long black zipties
    Deck of playing cards
    Notebook and some pencils and pens

Other stuff I can't remember.....

I'd love to have a real knife, a hunting or combat style knife that that is problematic in this country, and I'd love to have my small hatchet, but again, same problem.
    Its in a safe place near the front door, you'd have to know it's there to find it, my wife and I both know it's there.

If a major quake ever hits Tokyo, most likely we would remain in place, we have lots of resources here, but if we ever had to bug out, it's better to be ready, even in a small way.

You asked
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I live in my bug out bag. It has wheels.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Yeah - I have one of those extensible pruning saws as well (manual, not powered) - it works pretty well up to maybe 2" or so - might work better if it wasn't old and abused but hey still mostly works. The rope saw seems to work best on limbs around 2-3" and up, smaller than that the radius is kinda small for it to get a bite.

That's a good kit, Stu. Gets one thinking about emergency preparedness in general.

I must check the wood lot owners or silviculture guys around here to see where those pole saws are available.

The BO bags you folks have need some work...the two prime considerations for a BO are missing or could use some augmentation.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Okay, I'll bite.
    Those items would be.......?