Spray painting doors - skills development

Leo Voisine

Well Today is another first for me - spray painting Latex/Acrylic - interior paint.

I got a Kobalt spray guy at Lowes. Yes I know - it's not top end quality.

The quart sized can hangs down - and it is suction feed.

I got some "extender" from Ben Moore.
They call it a conditioner - slows the drying a little.
It's not a thinner.

I put 2oz in about a quart
Directions call for 8 oz per gallon
I added 4 oz water
Mixum all upp
Whhooo hoooooo
put a lime in the coconut ---
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
uhhh sorry
mix em all together
Whhooo hoooooo ---
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
uhhh sorry

I did some testing on a sheet of old siding

I sprayed side A of the door - did the edges
Sprayed side B

I finger touched Side A

WOW -- DRY - DRY

YES, Mr. Mackenzie - This IS the correct way to paint 6 panel doors

Well - I am certainly a beginner at it.

Had a couple of hangups.

The 5 doors I did today are beautiful - compared to brush painted.

I am sure someone that knows what they are doing would see hoards of flaws.

This is a skill that will use more and more.

So yes - it IS good

Fellow I know uses a Kobalt to lay down gloss black on interior room trim mouldings. Comes out like piano black.

He charges a ton for it in high end home decorating, and says its easy and fast.

Gets the work from interior decorators as a sub contractor.

Shoots new moulding in his shop and then installs it, or shoots homeowners moulding in their home.

I should get you to come by here and do mine :D.

I redid the back door last fall and the outside is nice but I held the sprayer to far back on the inside and ended up with nib city. Need to pull it back down and sand it back and reshoot it this year... Maybe next weekend.

Ryan - I didn't say I did a great spray job. I am certain that I did NOT.

I can do pretty good with a brush, but this poor spray job is even better than that.

The first door I did needs to be redone. No big deal - I have 4 other doors left to do anyway.

I think I could increase the volume and turn the air pressure down. It might smooth out better.

Maybe next weekend.

As long as you like it .........
I painted my son interior yesterday rolled Living room kitchen, bed room, hallway and eating area , Jon was happy. He did not mind the screw ups I pointed out. So if he liked it I'm happy, As you should be with your work.

Not to say you should not aspire to better and greater work.

Great stuff Leo. Thanks for sharing your success. These are the sort of threads I value when stepping into unfamiliar waters.

Which is better: an airless or air type sprayer & why? Also, is it better to have the can up or down & why?

I have an airless sprayer for latex paint which does not have to be atomized to as fine a mist as for furniture, and the airless can handle the thicker paint without problem. When I mentioned possibly using the airless for furniture, the manager immediately directed me away from that option (willing to lose the sale).

I have multiple options for HVLP spraying. I prefer turbine to "conversion" that runs from a regular air compressor. I prefer gravity feed (cup above the gun) but I am in the minority among professionals. However, when I had to get new guns for my turbine, gravity feed turbine guns were not available (they are now), but I am using cups below the gun on that system. See www.solowoodworker.com/wood/spraying.html for a fairly complete discussion on spraying and spray guns. See www.solowoodworker.com/wood/spraygun.html for selecting a system.