Toothpick Dispensers..........Again!

Stuart Ablett

As I mentioned in >> this thread << I'll be doing a demo for the JWA in June and they asked me to do a ToothPick Dispenser (TPD).

I did a video with some of these guys a while back doing the TPD, you can see that below...

Now I need to brush up on my skills and I have to be able to demonstrate this project. I'll have to write up an explanation of sorts, and get my lovely wife to translate it, into Japanese, which should be interesting, to say the least. I'll take pictures of how I do it, I might even shoot a video about it.

On Sunday we had to work, a few events going on that needed deliveries, so the day was broken up by deliveries, additions to the deliveries and then going and getting the empties and returns from the events. Started about 11:00 AM and finished at 9:30 PM, but I was able to make time in between these events to get some work done, mainly I cleaned up my old lumber rack, and moves some stuff around, and I took the occasion of cleaning up the lumber rack to dig through my scraps and come up with some wood that I could glue up into blanks to make the TPDs.

blanks.jpg

I ended up with 15 or so square bowl blanks of various sizes, and 13 blanks for TPDs.

Here are three TPDs that I have already turned......

toothpick_dispensers.jpg

Playing with some design elements and some shapes. It was my wife's idea to put the lines on the rather plane Maple bodies of the TPDs, I think I like it.

Watch this space, many more TPD to come!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I remember your video, least I think that was the video, fact I saved it at the time and was going to make one. I lost the video when I lost the memory board on my last computer. Now I have it again, thanks. Yours look great.

One from the glued up blanks.....

tybu4u8a.jpg

With some silliness included...
da5evy4a.jpg

Took about four hours start to finish. I need to cut that time down.

Last edited:
OK I'm getting the hang of this, took only 2-1/2 hours start to finish, the first one took me 4 hours.

IMG_7744.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

Blue Keyaki (Japanese Elm) with a strip of Spanish Cedar in the middle, the finial is Walnut.

I don't like the Finial, I have to work on those....

The strip adds a lot to the overall look. I agree about the finial. It looks a little stumpy.

Yeah, I bugged me, so I changed it....

ver2.jpg

My wife calls it a "Modern Style".

Certainly easier and faster than the other, which will be good for the demo, as I want to show something that most people can at least try to do themselves.

I think your "modern style" works very well. Prefer it to a finial and i like finials as a rule. I also liked the rings you had on then.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk