Belated Xmas present install-SHELLIX HEAD

larry merlau

Well i took a trip this spring and while i was gone my Xmas present to myself came in the mail, so once i got caught up on things around here i took time to install my new shellix head in my old faithful 15" planer. i had seen jays work and heard the difference in sound decibels and couldnt wait to have the same capability.. so between yesterday and today i got it apart and back together.. and gave it a test run empty first making sure i had all the fine gears messed right.. and i didnt have any spare parts.. even gave it a grease job and oil change.. turned it on with no wood to see how the noise was and if i had any thing wrong,, all sounded good so gave it some figured wood and let her do here thing.. was very pleased with the difference in sound and the cut was excellent no more tuning straight blades and having to replace them when a knot dings all three in the same place and leaves a strip.. now i can can just switch the cutters affected and be back like new again..
shellix head 001.jpgshellix head 002.jpgshellix head 003.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you will be sorry you did this upgrade. Was it an easy one?

yes, Id like to know also, do you think someone with limited knowledge of machinery like myself could handle something like this?(you wont hurt my feelings)

well guys, on my machine it was no problem, i am ok with wrenchs but with the instructions that byrd sent it was very simple to see the procedure, only thing i feel they left out was the tools needed for the job.. first off you need a small 3 jaw pully puller, metric allen wrenchs and a dead blow hammer, also some brass punches or wood sticks to beat on to push out the bearing and also for reinstalling the unit back together..if i had the puller at the begining you could easily do this in about 3 to 4 hours taking your time...

Welcome to the "went with an insert head and never looked back" club. I'm sure if you keep track you will find that the head will pay for itself in about a year. After that, its all gravy.

no on the slab jeff, its some junk wood i had laying around,, steves stuff is nice but i gave that chunk i had to jay.. but i wish i had some of steves other he has got coming.. just to much purty wood around:)