never saw one of these

+1 on some pictures and an explanation of sharpening mill stone, maybe flattening is a better word?

Sharpening is probably correct, although dressing might be more so. I'm guessing something along the lines of whats described by these links:
http://www.whitemill.org/z0008.htm
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/vaes/99-1-4.pdf

Although it would be wholly unreasonable and impractical, I'd kind of like to build a medium/large old fashioned mill someday.. There is just something about them that appeals.

This of course means that I'm unreasonably interested in the details, like what sort of material is used in the stones (French Burr.. oooh we could hope :D)

Well Ryan it should be in my genes to build a large mill, lol my great grandfather used to build water driven mills in the Bury St Edmunds town area in England back in the day. I have a small journal book that has a list of all his customers around the greater area and it shows names and what they owed and their addresses.
Its the only piece of family history i really think is neat.

Used Google to look up some of the Mills and found one still intact as part of a hotel :) Maybe someday i will take a trip and visit it. That would be cool. Its not milling though.

I agree it would be an interesting project.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Well Ryan it should be in my genes to build a large mill, lol my great grandfather used to build water driven mills in the Bury St Edmunds town area in England back in the day.

When I finally bail out on the day job, buy the compound (and finish the "short" :rofl: list of other immediate projects) I'll try to remember give you a holler :D That's assuming we're not both to old and crippled to pull something like that off by then ;)

when I visited my wifes cousin in philly recently, she had this huge thing leaning against a wall.
she has this thing for unusual stuff, has some stuff laying around her house that shes picked up around the world.(she was a news reporter/ photographer and worked in many countries over the past 25 years)
she sublet an apartment in france a while ago, and when she went to get rent from the tenant when he was leaving, he didn't have enough money so he gave her some of the things he collected.
This was one of them.
At first, I thought it was some kind of torture device, as those little sharp rocks in there are really sharp.
maybe an older surfboard for someone who likes to inflict injury on themselves?

She told me it is from India, a rice thresher. OK, I learn something new every day.
She might have said wheat, but Im sure she told me a rice thresher.

just sharing.

These were widely used in Spain to separate the grains from the stem rice, wheat or others.
Here they are called Trillos, andn were used now they sought after as a decoration piece and/or to make tables. They put them with the flint (silex) stones facing up and place a glass on top separated with four wood pegs, add four legs and there you go.

Their size depended on the animal or animals that were towing it, those that were towed by donkeys are the smallest, those that were towed by a pair of mules or ox are the biggest. At my in-laws town there are still a few left on barns although not used for 20-30 years and rather neglected.

Ok, I'm about 5 hours into it. Another 2 or 3 to go ...

Ooh that sounds interesting!! Can we connive you into to sharing some pics and details on that one?

How in-depth would you like? A couple of pics of the stone work, or the strip down and reassembly as well (in which case I should start a new thread in "Cooking"?)?

Remember, lift with your legs, not your back :D

BTW I'll thank you and the mill, my mother is celiac and this kind of business really helps her quality of life!

+1 on some pictures and an explanation of sharpening mill stone, maybe flattening is a better word?

Lifting is done with a battery powered stacker. In this mill the bedstone is on top, and to dress/sharpen has to be flipped. I'll guess the 'stone', at 33ish" dia x 5" thick, is on the high side of 300 lb, maybe closer to 400 lb.

Not flattening. That would be on new stones. These stones are well worn in and thus true to each other, but the furrows are almost non-existant.

Ok, I'm about 5 hours into it. Another 2 or 3 to go ...

How in-depth would you like? A couple of pics of the stone work, or the strip down and reassembly as well (in which case I should start a new thread in "Cooking"?)?

Lifting is done with a battery powered stacker. In this mill the bedstone is on top, and to dress/sharpen has to be flipped. I'll guess the 'stone', at 33ish" dia x 5" thick, is on the high side of 300 lb, maybe closer to 400 lb.

Not flattening. That would be on new stones. These stones are well worn in and thus true to each other, but the furrows are almost non-existant.

I was kidding about lifting with the legs, I understand that these thing can weigh a ton.

Good video, and watch as they lift off the top stone, very interesting!

Ed, I'd gratefully take as much information as you are willing to take the time to pass along. It may not be something I ever use in practice but the subtleties here are some what fascinating to know about.

A new thread (sure cooking sounds good since we don't have a stoneworking forum :D) is probably not a bad idea to avoid hijacking this thread entirely.