A cant is born

Randy Wynn

Hi all, here are a few pix of the making of a cant. First we gotta load the log.

DSCF1392s.jpg

DSCF1393s.jpg

DSCF1395s.jpg

Now that we have it loaded, it's time to make the first cut.
DSCF1397s.jpg

Then we gotta turn the log 90deg. for the second cut.
DSCF1398s.jpg

DSCF1403s.jpg

Second and third cut made time to roll again.
DSCF1404s.jpg

Man I would be lost with out the overhead hoist.
DSCF1406s.jpg

4th and finnal cut, and a cant is born. Now, to decide what I'll cut it into. Think I'll make 2x4's with this one for my kiln.
DSCF1408s.jpg

Overhead hoist

Hi tod evans, Yes I load with a winch and turn with an overhead hoist(chainfall) Couldn't do it with out that either. It's hard to see in the pix I'll try to get some better pix for the next sequence.:thumb:

flippin it with a chainhoist with an end hook off a canthook looks like.

The Rest Of The Story

OK here’s the rest of the story. I got 22 2×4’s and 4 4×4’s from one log with only 10 cuts. I can’t help but laugh

DSCF1410s.jpg

DSCF1412s.jpg

DSCF1414s.jpg

Last edited:
That's just too cool, Randy. :thumb: Like Stu said, it sure is a step up from a chainsaw mill. How long would you say it takes to go from raw log to stack of green lumber?

Time line

Hi Vaughn McMillan, I recon that log took about 2 1/2 hours. maybe a little longer because of the pix, but not much more than that. P.S. I don't get in no hurry, thats how things go missing.:D

I used to cut a lot of oak 2x6's that way.
Sure beats doing them one at a time

Cool

What did you use to cut them with Steve? I was going to make 2x8's but I think I have enough of them for my kiln, so I started on my 2x4's. My kiln should be done within the next couple of weeks. Can't wait.:thumb:

I had a Woodmizer LT-30 for ten years.

Sold it, due to not having enough time to do everything.

My family has a couple of sawmills. A 52 inch rotary sawmill, a bandsaw one, a chainsaw Mill and a Mill that saws out wooden shingles, if that counts for a sawmill anyway.

Its great to be able to saw your own lumber, but even with all this stuff I hire a guy to come in with his portable sawmill. I just don't have the time to saw out lumber. Oh I do saw out a few hardwood logs to keep my solar kiln stocked, and I knocked out some basswood for a guy that wanted to do a massive carving, but anything over 500 board feet I hire a sawyer to do it.

Surprisingly he said that he saws a lot for people that have their own mills, and for the very reason I mentioned. Myself I do pretty good for the first few logs. Its cool to see how many board feet you can get out of a given log, but after a few logs, that loses its luster and I get bored. (No pun intended)

Personally I think the guy does not charge enough. He does have a 1500 BF minimum, but its only 18 cents a BF for Softwood and 21 cents a BF for hardwood. That's cheap to turn a pile of logs into sawn boards, piled on a trailer and in only a few hours. I am sure if he charged a lot, I might go back to sawing more of my own lumber.

Lane_Sawmill-215x139.jpg

Chainsaw_Mill-215x138.jpg

Nice_Cant-215x141.jpg

Man that had to be sad day when you got rid of that wasn't it?? I'd have troubles letting my mill go. :eek:

Yes. I miss it.
PLan was to saw and dry my lumber, then use it in my cabinet shop.

But I can't do it all.

I sold it to my brother in law, so its available If I ever need it again.