Gun Vise

I built one ~ 35 years ago, but certainly not as nice as what you are building. Let me just say that you will really appreciate how handy they are - a really great way to hold your gun while working on it. Actually, I pulled mine out of storage just yesterday to work on my neighbor's new 22 magnum rifle to install a scope mount.

Must be the same plans I used. If done again, at the butt end I would put up a 'V' to hold the rifle upside down. Can be difficult to work on the right side of the rifle as shown. For my guns, working on the right side is often necessary. BTW, I used tanned deerskin for protection of the barrel and wood.

Thanks all.

Must be the same plans I used. If done again, at the butt end I would put up a 'V' to hold the rifle upside down. Can be difficult to work on the right side of the rifle as shown. For my guns, working on the right side is often necessary. BTW, I used tanned deerskin for protection of the barrel and wood.

Great idea. Thanks! I've got a box full of leather scraps a friend gave me, I planned to use some of them.

I was thinking of cutting out the back stop on the butt end and making it where I could move the stock through a little more rather than butt against it. Is the backstop needed on these. I may still put one on, but make make it removable. I've got a couple of "tacticool" stocks that might not mount well with it there.

Woodworking and guns all in one project. Man, if you could figure out a way to mount it to a guitar amp, you'd hit the hobby trifecta. :D

Very cool, Darren. I may look into making something like that for one of my nephews who does a fair amount of home gunsmithing.

Nice! Although I don't do any gunsmithing, it sure would come in handy for cleaning my shotguns and rifles......Looking forward to your progress.

cool idea and just thinking about the but section what about making that mount on a slide that runs in a dado on the bottom side and then could be adjustable to suit a different length of rifle if i understood your problem. The kind of idea i am thinking of is the way the guys in woodworking make their adjustable mitre gauges extend for the stop when you cutting wood to a specific length, hope this picture helps explain what i mean. Also i would make the consumables and cleaning items tray removable and self standing. So if needs be it can be put to one side and have unobstructed access all round and no chance of bumping the whole thing and having it spill all over while working on it. Dunno never used anything like this. Dont have a rifle .......yet :)

41Xo-Hd1ETL.jpg

I did a dry assembly tonight to make sure it would work the way I want it to. As I mentioned the vice/clamping side of the vice I wanted to move up a little, but wasn't sure if I needed to cut the opening out to get good clamping on the stock. turned out it worked fine. It's connected about 2" from the end. I'm probably going to use this area to clamp the base to the work bench for longer heavy barreled rifles.
2014-04-25 21.28.00.jpg

I recessed the wingnuts on the back, mostly as I didn't have any 3" bolts, but actually looks nicer and don't have to worry about scratching stocks on them by accident.
2014-04-25 21.11.18.jpg

This is one of my longer guns I have, but have one or two that may have heavier barrels than it. But you can see that it could get a bit lopsided without a clamp holding the Butt side.
2014-04-25 21.08.47.jpg 2014-04-25 21.08.18.jpg 2014-04-25 21.10.23.jpg 2014-04-25 21.09.59.jpg

The clamp was barely wide enough to clamp this one too, but it did.
2014-04-25 21.11.34.jpg

This is one of my smaller rifles a Winchester replica .22 pump. The cam was barely big enough to clamp this one, but it did. I may still make a larger cam handle.
2014-04-25 21.14.12.jpg 2014-04-25 21.14.03.jpg 2014-04-25 21.13.55.jpg

I just had the two side rails in the bottom sitting there unattached, need to go through my supplies and decide what all I need to make homes for in the base to have things at hand. Will disassemble, sand, do some round overs, finish, and add leather in the rests for padding. I also want to make an adjustable mid support for cleaning the rifles that hinge in the middle.

Rob, I think the sliding extension would be a good idea, will have to see if I can incorporate perhaps and additional support.

Darren visiting Larry i got to see his draws he is making for two chest of draw units. Well he is using dovetail under draw slides one of which would be perfect for this application. Larry told me he purchased these slides for a few dollars each perhaps he can chime in with the location and you could evaluate it as an option. Would be nice and stable in comparison to say ball bearing ext slides. I am assuming that they are available in variety of widths. Certainly nice low profile could nicely fit in a dado beneath the bottom.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

How about some rubber foam like weather stripping attached to the clamp so it will depress against the stock. Fit tighter on the smaller stocks and prevent scratching. Or, some foam under some soft leather. I really like the setup. I don't do gunsmithing, but I do clean my unused guns once in awhile. This would be nice to have and store the cleaning equipment in. O haven't shot any of my guns, other than the pellet gun in probably over 30 years. I need to get back at it. When I was a kid, my Dad would buy cases of 22 cal. ammo from our police department! They use 22's for practice and would sell cases a their cost! Times have changed.....

Did someone say leather? Too much in this case. This certainly is not in the same class as what Darren is making, but it is "functional" & has served me well for a long time. I stil have "sheets" of leather given to me by my FIL who since deceased, but no more red leather. Made this one a bit long to handle shotguns as well as shorter rifles.

Attachments

• P4270001.jpg
    P4270001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P4270002.jpg
    P4270002.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
Is the backstop needed on these. I may still put one on, but make make it removable. I've got a couple of "tacticool" stocks that might not mount well with it there.

The backstop is needed. Most of us have a variety of long guns, the rest is not universal. I drilled a couple holes in the handle/lock to help accomodate different guns. I plan to redesign the whole rest and make another. A 60" long flintlock rifle ain't much like a 30-06 bolt action.