Gun Vise

Thanks guys. Nice looking vise Al! I think that side clamp type of holder might work well, especially if I need to flip the gun on it's side or top.

The backstop is needed. Most of us have a variety of long guns, the rest is not universal. I drilled a couple holes in the handle/lock to help accomodate different guns. I plan to redesign the whole rest and make another. A 60" long flintlock rifle ain't much like a 30-06 bolt action.

Yeah I'm thinking the same of making additional ones, or simply making the base a track and making different jigs for each end of the gun and being able to swap them. For instance, for working on AR uppers, a base like the one below could be incorporated.

31BlXfWK2KL._SX425_.jpg

The current setup does well for clamping the AR assembled, but I need a center support for cleaning or just separate the upper/lower all together, which I often do anyway.

Thanks guys. Nice looking vise Al! I think that side clamp type of holder might work well, especially if I need to flip the gun on it's side or top.

Yeah I'm thinking the same of making additional ones, or simply making the base a track and making different jigs for each end of the gun and being able to swap them. For instance, for working on AR uppers, a base like the one below could be incorporated.

View attachment 82601

The current setup does well for clamping the AR assembled, but I need a center support for cleaning or just separate the upper/lower all together, which I often do anyway.

Very cool! :thumb:
If you do end up making an separate setup for cleaning the AR upper, I'd like to see that.

Very cool! :thumb:
If you do end up making an separate setup for cleaning the AR upper, I'd like to see that.

Funny thing I got back from the range yesterday, setup my bench with some scrap cardboard to keep it clean while cleaning the guns. After about half way through cleaning and knocking over my gun oil bottle a third time, I realized the gun vise was about 10' away. Got up, brought it to the bench, and made the whole task a whole lot easier and enjoyable. I'll probably be working on a block for the upper later today.

Looks good. That compound gripper is interesting. I mostly depend on the cam shape of the handle to hold. It has two bolt placement holes to adjust the angle of attack.

I installed the leather the other day, even with it being the thinnest I had, was thick enough to make my larger rifle stock not fit so well. so had to pull the cam and sand a little more off the flat side, which did the trick.

2014-05-01 20.59.44.jpg 2014-05-01 20.59.50.jpg 2014-05-01 20.59.56.jpg