Family visit with Larry, Randi and Charlie.

Looks like a really great day for all concerned. Good your son got to go along too, any time spent around Larry is an education in practicality and common sense. Thanks for sharing the experience Rob.
Good to hear Randi's generosity didn't cause you to run afoul of the authorities.:thumb: Waldorff's brews some fine products.

On the side topic to this thread, if there's a Family gathering in Indiana in '15, we'll be taking a little drive, unless things are badly and unexpectedly adrift at the time.

Last edited:
only because this thread has drifted already, I want to say one thing for everyone to digest and eventually in 6 months or so we can begin another thread towards this 2015 gathering.(btw, Im still good if anyone wants to meet here this summer, I don't have a problem with it, but I don't need to plan anything for 4 people, as they are welcome anytime they are in NY or near long island)

this 2015 event could produce a large turnout.

I think we should address the money issue before last minute details.

Im just bringing it up now, let it turn around in everyones head.

I think all people attending should just produce a 15 or 20 dollar check, to help offset the cost to Jon. Noone has to bring anything, but would be nice if anyone cooked something, anyone who lives close enough, or helped out jon with the physical end of it, like cooking, cleaning, whatever. (someone local would be good, but Id help at the grill or cleaning when Im there)
I don't think a box or donation anything should be at the party, just go and hand in a check or cash, as soon as we arrive, no confusion, simple, making these kind of events more likey to occur in the future since one person or two people don't have to flip such a large bill. Its one thing if 6 or 8 people show up, but if 35 or 40, it could be expensive. Ok I said my piece. Now Ill shut up.

on another note, I volunteer to make something, to raffle off as a door prize. (no body panic, not a pen or bowl), maybe a few others can also offer a small project for free raffle, just to make things fun.

Ok, now Ive really said enough.

Here are some issues I have heard with regard to hosting one of these things. First is the bathroom issue. Gotta have them. So the $20 check may need to go higher for Porta Potties. Also, I have friend who does this sort of things every couple of years and I have learned from him. A large party tent is in order along with chairs and tables. If you have 10-12 people it is one thing. But when it goes over that then you have other issues.

So Porta Potties, large canopy for shade, eating/visiting or even demos, and table and chairs. And toilet paper and paper products and utensils for chowing down. Then there are food items and beverages that compliment the food. And a consideration for catering so a few women aren't working their tushes into the earth to keep everyone happy.

So, yeah, expect to pay some admission to this thing. If folks are camping in, be clear about which meals are included in the fee and which aren't. Beverages, especially barley pop and soda, can get pricey. Ice to keep it cold. Well, you get the idea. More expense that you might think.

So expect to double Allen's fee. Where else are you going to have that much fun, eat that much great food, drink good stuff, for so little money? Not to mention the great conversations, demos, etc.

Try going to Disneyland for only $40 for the day, not even counting the price to get in the gate.

In addition to a raffle, how about a swap meet to exchange tools for other tools or even cash?

And how about some folks stepping up to oversee each of these activities.

This has the potential for being a real blast.

Order your hats now. :yes:

I was trying to break it in slowly carol.
We can just say 20 dollars per adult.
This is going to be work for the host. No doubt about that.

its not 40 dollars carol.
travel expenses and hotels costs for some people will be very high. Gasoline and 2 nights hotel stay while in transport to jons for me will be approx. in the 700 dollar range, and that's not including eating our meals out while travelling, the cost of hotels in Indiana, and any other odd ball expenses that come up.(but I will make a longer trip of it and enjoy some other sites along the way)but I will be there regardless of costs.
And for those that fly in, well, it aint gonna be any cheaper.

Allen, BTDT. I am talking about actual expenses, nobody is making any money here. I am well aware of the cost of traveling to the event. But because it costs me money to travel there doesn't mean the host needs to eat expenses.

And FWIW, we are not dealing with real numbers yet. Some real costs need to be projected against the number of people coming to get to a realistic number.

Im not disagreeing with you at all, sounds like you might feel I am.
I AM Totally for spreading the costs of any of these events around to those attending.

I mentioned we should just start a thread near the end of this year I guess making preliminary plans and get an idea who will attend so it can be planned.
And then it all depends on how Jon is doing, not only health, but if hes caught up with work and all.