Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor freight.

Harbor freight.

There is now no doubt in my mind as to the value of this store. I think its fun to shop there. Sure some of the stuff can be iffy but if you into diy and fixing things outside of woodworking that require some specilized tools which you unlikely going to use like a pro would each day, then this is the place to buy those tools.
    We got a similar place in Canada called princess auto, but they dont quiet feature same as HF especially in the price / discount dept.
    So no trip to USA is complete for me without a stop at HF. This time we picked up a set to do ball joint repair and then saw a deal on a 3 ton low profile jack. I hemmed and hawed and decided to leave it. Stopped in at Larry and on the way back came to the conclusion it would make life that much easier when Vaughn and I tackle the biggest mechanical auto job i have ever considered undertaking in my life.
    So we stopped in again just making it under the closing time wire to pick up a 3 ton low profile jack for $89. No 20% coupon allowed on this but it was already a reduced price. There are some great finds at HF and we got free goodies too like a multimeter for Vaughns toolkit.
    Always hear about you guys mentioning the moving blankets and picked up a couple now i understand why. Got to be one of their best and for woodworkers i saw how Larry uses them in the shop for protecting furniture while in process or finishing process.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

I get a couple things there...but only after review by others!!! My corner chisel...had it for years...works great. Punch dyes for pen repairs...can't beat it. It is definitely one of those like it or not places.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Easily the most-used Harbor Freight product in my shop is the dust collector, which is one of their more "golden" finds. (After spending a bit more money to upgrade the filter.) Their moving dollies are also a great bargain...worth a lot more than they cost, in my opinion. I also use my HF dead blow hammers quite a bit. I keep one my my lathe for driving a spur center into a blank. (Off the lathe...I never drive wood onto a spur center that's mounted on the spindle. I value my headstock bearings.) And my HF close quarters drill has sanded many, many bowls and hollow forms over the years. But I got lucky on the drill. Stu got one at the same time I got mine, and his self-destructed within a month or so.

And Rob, I always forget you have a son named Vaughn.

Poor kid, being saddled with a funky name like that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn which of the two close quarters drills from HF did you get? I see there is a brown red one and a blue silver?

In Canada they always add a a to Vaughns name given the city of Vaughan. So we say Vorn and Canadians say Vaaaahn. But most of the time it ends up being hey Keeble.
    cheers

Love HF. I have the dolly, a set of security bits (for all those crazy screw heads you come across from time to time, and a couple of dozen plastice small parts trays with lids. No more dumping our coffee cans full of odds and ends looking for that "one" nut, bolt, or washer. Moving blankets are on my HF to-buy list as is the 33' fiberglass electrician's wire runner.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Harbor Freight is a guilty pleasure. I love walking through the aisles and seeing what they come up with. The thrill of the hunt!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

This five drawer service cart has been on my radar for a while.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/five-dr...art-95272.html
    The monthly flyer lists it on sale for $199.99 and I have a coupon for $169.99. I might try using a 25% off coupon on the $199.99 price which gets it down to $150. This is a very sturdy cabinet and there are several threads on other forums on pimping them out.
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...freight+drawer

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Vaughn which of the two close quarters drills from HF did you get? I see there is a brown red one and a blue silver?...
    The one I have is orange, and it's been discontinued. It's pretty similar to the brown/red one...it has a keyed chuck. As seldom as I change sanding pads on it, I didn't see the need for a keyless chuck.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    This five drawer service cart has been on my radar for a while.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/five-dr...art-95272.html
    The monthly flyer lists it on sale for $199.99 and I have a coupon for $169.99. I might try using a 25% off coupon on the $199.99 price which gets it down to $150. This is a very sturdy cabinet and there are several threads on other forums on pimping them out.
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...freight+drawer

Ted the latest harbor freight flyer on their home page lists this one which appears to be the same just a different color pick for $100 on the sale with the coupon.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thanks Vaughn.

Ted the latest harbor freight flyer on their home page lists this one which appears to be the same just a different color pick for $100 on the sale with the coupon.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
    But for the paint and $200. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Roll...ol-Chest/H7728

If its even as close to as nice as the grizzly cabinets it'll be real nice. I have one of the other grizzly cabinet stacks and have nothing but good things to say about them. Now I can't tell you if the glides are the same or not; if i had to hazard a guess that would be where you'd shave dollars on this.

Rob: I ended up with this right angle drill: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Price wise it seemed competive and a bunch of other people claimed it was good. I have nothing to compare it to and haven't used it all that much so all I can do is hand wave and say "more options"!