I hate IKEA!

Roger Tulk

First of all, most of it isn't wood, it's MDF. Memsahib has decided that our bedroom is going to be completely white. I didn't get much say in this. I may like wood, but when I said I would prefer wood, I was firmly told I was wrong, because I'm a man and my lips were moving.

When Ikea does use wood, it usually is some kind of Scandinavian brittle wood that leaves you with broken table legs and chairs in a very short time. Its shelf life is usually much shorter than any real furniture. Fortunately, this lot will probably last longer than I will, so I won't get the satisfaction of smirking to myself when it falls apart.

So we made the trip to Ikea, and came home with two 3 drawer chests to be used as side tables, and a 6 drawer tall chest. I've put the two small chests together. I tried to extend the possible life of the stuff by putting a small dab of glue on each of the dowels they use to align things, and in the dadoes that hold in the back of the drawers. I note they have replaced the metal lock nuts with nylon ones, as if the metal ones were insufficiently breakable.

Memsahib says she would let me build them, but she doesn't have two years to wait. I think that's a little unfair, but... :huh:

I think I have heard that a few times from my wife! I tell my wife, "I could built that!" and get the "can't wait two years" response! I think I resemble her remarks!:eek: But, hey, I don't work well under pressure!

the person who thinks they are in charge in a marriage is wrong, the other partner is or can take control in a heart beat.. and a wise man would be thankful to learn that as early as they can:)

I'll just leave this here as a public service...

ikea_map.jpg

"First of all, most of it isn't wood, it's MDF." REALLY LOL

I have had customers bring in some of that JUNK ! to get repaired , I tell them to just trash and by something that is solid wood.

Without wanting to hijack this thread, I find very interesting the fact that it has drifted to more philosophical questions about who and who is not in charge on a marriage, as if there should be anyone in charge or giving the orders (as if they were needed at all) IMHO it shows rather clearly that it is a subject that somehow bothers, or maybe I should say interests many of the male members of this forum, or at least that many of them have a saying about it ;).
Really, really interesting... Maybe we should mark it as a theme to discuss in one of the future gatherings...:)

to bring this back on subject, ikea sucks! my wife :blah: fell in love with something called ivar. piece of junk, sucked up 6 coats of shellac before it started to have half a shine to it. but she's happy. only reason i like ikea is that they have the small glass cups i use for tealight candle holders. so far i have a 10 year supply of them. no need to go back any time soon. :D