Packaging a plane for shipping

S

Steve Clardy

This is how I package big planes for sending USPS.

I've been through a couple of mishaps, broken planes I have received.

So when I ship one, I build a wood box.

I disasemble the plane, anchor the plane base in the box with two notched blocks that sit over the sole, front and rear.
Then I bubble wrap everything else, install the top with screws.

Then I wrap with heavy paper, address, and send.

This just takes about 30 minutes time to do this, and really helps when the plane is dropping off a 5 or 6' elevator system in the post office.

Last edited:
It can't possibly

survive a nuclear detonation, but it can get by anything else for sure.:thumb:
I hope the buyer is paying the shipping.:doh:

I've sent a couple things in shop-made wooden boxes (pool cue case and big heavy cutting board), and the guy at my local post office always gets a kick out of them. I don't wrap them, but I run the 1/8" roundover bit all around the edges and hit them with a 120 grit sander...that way they're relatively easy to handle.

Good idea.

Not only would that keep them protected but it's kind of hard to find a "ready made" properly sized box to ship the longer ones. Floral delivery boxes come in handy if you can get em and if they're of the sturdier type but most of the ones I've seen...aren't.

Looks like

a Bosch commercial to me:eek: i thought no for profit advertizing:D // yeah and you should see what he has in store for his wife the next time she sets on his glasses:D :D :rofl: :rofl: oh steve what size of impellor on your green monster? mine is slacking aftr this wknds agenda...

a Bosch commercial to me:eek: i thought no for profit advertizing:D // yeah and you should see what he has in store for his wife the next time she sets on his glasses:D :D :rofl: :rofl: oh steve what size of impellor on your green monster? mine is slacking aftr this wknds agenda...

glasses :huh: oh yea:( :rolleyes: :D

13.5 sheldon impellor