dog snacks

Ryan Mooney

Staff member

Delicious? Probably if you're a dog.

We've been making something similar except replacing most of the oats with spent grains from brewing and haven't tried the fish sauce yet. Based on how delicious the fish fertilizer apparently is I'm betting it would be a hit though. Loml did make a batch with sardines and peanut butter once and they were rather astoundingly aromatic while cooking (the surprise of the wave of odor hitting me when I walked in the door was a bit much). We've also substituted rice flour for the oats and soggy carrots or apples for the sweet potato. Old fish skeletons work well for the tuna if you pressure cook them until they're crumbly (I was smoking some salmon a couple years ago and pressure cooked all the skeletal remains and added them to treats - chicken bones also crumble if pressure cooked for ~30-40 minutes - the pressure cooking it important here so there are no sharp edges). When we add eggs we just throw the whole thing into a blender shell and all (free calcium!).

Now thats all new to me. Dogs eating cat poo...urg.

The dog treats i can see being a hit this way at least the dog owner knows what is being put inside em.

My thought on the lampfish is how hard is it to get it to burn without a bic lighter :) i guess once flint is used to get some sort of fire source then one is away. But by then one also has the fire so why then the need to burn the fish other than as a source of fuel same as burning potatoe chips when u run out of wood :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Now thats all new to me. Dogs eating cat poo...urg...

It's actually very common. As it was explained to me, cats have an inefficient digestive system. They don't process protein very effectively, so a lot of protein passes through and remains in their poop. (This inefficiency is one of the reasons cats have to eat such a high protein diet in the first place.) Most dogs instinctively know that cat poop contains usable protein, so they eat it. As gross as it seems, it's actually a survival mechanism.

On a related note, I really want to make one of these cakes to bring to the office...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kitty-litter-cake/

Now thats all new to me. Dogs eating cat poo...urg.

My thought on the lampfish is how hard is it to get it to burn without a bic lighter :) i guess once flint is used to get some sort of fire source then one is away. But by then one also has the fire so why then the need to burn the fish other than as a source of fuel same as burning potatoe chips when u run out of wood :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

If there is a type of poo that at least some dog won't eat I don't know what it is. They are kind of disgusting critters but I still like having them around :D

As I understand it it wasn't very common to actually burn the fish, but the rendered oil was used in lamps. They would cook down big tubs of the fish after letting them "ferment" for a couple of weeks to let the oil get loose. I never saw it but apparently you could smell or for a couple of miles, but the final oil was pretty clean/low odor.