It's Friday! - 5/2/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Supposed to be a really nice weekend here. Have some family coming over tonight. Tomorrow I've got some yard work to get started on, then planning to head to the range to sight in a couple of new scopes. Sunday will probably be a little more yardwork and hanging with the grandson.

What's everyone else got going?

Still recovering from a head cold/sinus infection/gunk in the chest thing I had this week. First day without rain in a week so, tonight mowing the lawn and relaxing. Tomorrow we have 2 first communions to attend, nephew's at 1pm and neice's at 5pm. Probably early to bed again. Sunday I expect to be outside mulching, planting and such things all day.

Like Jeff, I'm trying to get over an allergy/sinus infection/bronchitis thing that's been dogging me all week. No band gigs this week or weekend, so I'm planning to just lay low and try to get better.

Charles, I heard on the radio that on derby day over 200,000 mint juleps are served. Hope you don't have a headache in the morning :rofl:

Meeting with Scott Brown, a candidate for the New Hampshire US Senate Saturday morning at my towns Republican monthly meeting. Should be interesting.

Yard work Sat PM and Sunday.

Tai chi early this morning. Haircut and sermon prep today. Preaching Sunday.

Hopefully hearing from the Kevin, my civil engineer. And beginning the search for a former owner of 5 Talents to resolve a title issue.

New storage shed sometime this weekend and then unload the truck. Gotta come up with some shade for Big John. Stopped by the John Deere dealership this morning and got another key for Big John before I lose the only one I had.

Also working on the book and new website to come.

I always feel these weekend threads are so corny, but I cant resist reading them and participating in them.
Not sure why, its like, no matter who it is, where they are, or what they do, we all seem to do the same stuff. Its almost disappointing sometimes for me. Im waiting for someone to post they are flying around the world, or climbing mount Everest, or surfing in Hawaii, something big, royal, so I can live a little part of their adventure, because my life is just so ordinary. humdrum? plain and simple?
I went to the doctor this morning, and then the dentist to fix a chipped tooth before it chipped in the front. Isnt that an exciting life?
Now Im going to clean up debris in my backyard, straighten up a bit. anyone excited yet?
Yet I have to read this thread every week, whoever started this idea, is certainly on to something. I think it should be whats up for Monday, then another for Tuesday. seriously. Im wiling to bet most members read a lot of this thread.

tomorrow, hold your breath now, don't want the excitement to make anyone pass out, Im going to spend the morning, with my son, caulking all the cracked asphalt from the ice this past winter. Yestday, I took out the spikes that fell out of the gutters, the water/ice load this winter pulled my gutters down in the front, so I purchased screws and put them in. Don't I have an exciting life?
After we do the driveway, it really heats up, action, hold on now, wait for it, wait.........Im going to hold the ladder for my son so he can pop those gutter covers back onto my gutters so no leaves get in. THEN, really then, Im going to have my son schlep my window ac up from the crawl into my office.
Let me rest here, the excitement just thinking about the past day, today and tomorrow is getting to me, let me catch my breath.

When and if we finish all that exciting stuff, due to current events in my area, Im going to run over to HD, buy a motion activated spotlight for the driveway on the side of my home. I have others in the back.

Im hoping all this exciting stuff hasn't hurt anyone physically.

Im so tired thinking about it, I think I have to go take a nap before my wife gets home from work.

this retirement stuff is brutal, now I know why people keep working. Its becoming difficult to plan lunch and my afternoon nap as they don't interfere with each other. Today, after the dentist, I met my regular group of retirees in the bagel place for my usual lunch, turkey and mustard on whole wheat something. 2 coffees. I listened to another older gent talk about his ailments. then another one, then I was asked, so we talked about my ailments. (these guys are 20 years my senior)
Some 75 y/o woman walked in and smiled and said hello to the 2 gents, and when she left, one of them said to me, I bet she was a beauty in her day. That was it for me. I had to leave then. Im not quite ready for this kind of talking yet. Im not ready to move to florida and be in gods waiting room. I need to do something exciting soon.

isn't My life is super exciting?
I bet most of you are envious of me. I might actually do some woodworking sunday. I need a rolling printer stand for my printer.
I was going to build it into a large desk, but I cant see throwing away my staples purchased desk just to make another one to match the cabinets. Waste of money.

Oh, I left out, before the dentist, I went to the market and picked up some oj and white bread. White bread, how sad is my life? Even my bread is plain.
uh. I think I need to get on an airplane and do something real soon.

and just so no one misreads me, Im making fun of my life only.gotta be able to laugh at it all so it doesn't get ya down.

Last edited:
Allen, that made me laugh.... :thumb: :D... and think about how "exciting" :rolleyes: my life has been recently...maybe the sun finally being out this weekend will help things.

Actually, replying to this thread helps me be accountable. Some days it is difficult to carry one when one lives alone. It is good to have 'family' who is at least interested. You are right, Allen, life may be humdrum to ourselves, but believing others give a hoot is the incentive to moving forward.

Thanks, all. I really appreciate you.

that was my entire point, ofcourse were interested. Im willing to bet there is not one person on this board that knows any other female author minister woodworker that drove halfway across the unites states by herself to buy a john deere. you wanted something, you went and got it, in the hood, the saying is, You go girl!(it says something about you, strength, independence, fearless, determined)
If I had half your energy, no, a third of your energy.

Tai chi early this morning. Haircut and sermon prep today. Preaching Sunday.

Hopefully hearing from the Kevin, my civil engineer. And beginning the search for a former owner of 5 Talents to resolve a title issue.

Oh no you don't!! You paid for a title policy...mandatory in California. It's in the front of your Preliminary Title Report. Any issues regarding title go straight to them. They insure your title against any issues affecting lot lines, easements, ownership, chain of title any mineral or airspace rights/issues that come up.

Anyway...stupid schedule for the end of the week...Thursday, Friday night, off Saturday, back Sunday and Monday night. But...going to man up and bottle/keg some beer with the Dowels Saturday.

CJ is visiting tonight and tomorrow. Lou has a lawyer's meeting Sunday afternoon and since she can't drive, I gots to be there! Oh, for Allen, CJ and Bop (that's me!) we are going to drive the Jeep back to the pond and over the grammy and poppy's house tomorrow. Bought a Jeep last Saturday and CJ thinks it is the "most awesomest jeep!!!".

We're still getting back on track after being away for a week. I've done a bit of organizing in my shop and Bobbie has caught up on things in the house.

Today, Friday, I spent some time practicing on a bowl on my lathe. Yep, that's right. Now that this flatlander has finished a couple of major projects, I'm ready for a change of pace. Actually, I finished a Slimline pen yesterday - first in years! I worked on a small hunk of walnut today and am getting a better feel for the different lathe tools. Sure need to find someone close by to show me the way again!

Saturday, I'll have a free morning since Bobbie and a neighbor lady are going shopping, so I'll do a bit more on the lathe and some shop clean up.

Sunday is the Talladega race, so need I say more???

Slow down there, Jimbo. I have and accepted a restricted title policy. Or we never would have made a deal. The seller bought without a policy and stubbornly insisted on selling that way as well. It was a dogfight to get what I got. The title issue is minor, but you know how legal things go. All the t's and i's need attention. To get a loan in the future, these need to be attended to and I agreed to do that for myself. Trust me, that little issue was reflected in the selling price. Cash talks and makes for a compelling lever. Call it sweat equity on my part.

So the new guy gets the creative work schedule, huh? Take heart. You won't always be in the bottom end of the totem pole. :rolleyes:

Slow down there, Allen. I can't keep up with that!

dog-tired.jpg

:rofl:

Sold all of my salt water fishing gear (Stripers/Blues/ Blue Fin Tuna) on CL today. Had the items sorted into a number categories of gear to make the sell prices smaller & to better suit specific fishermen. Received a call last night from an interested party - said he'd be here today to "look" at the flies. He ended up buying everything - $1,500. Thank you CL! :thumb:

Back to the grind: yard work; replace a sprinkler head; repair/upgrade the target setup in my back yard archery range.

Sign off on a contract to have my house painted.