Thread: Wooden Easter Basket

WNY, Buffalo Area

Wooden Easter Basket

My younger son (in kindergarten) needed an Easter Basket for school this year. So I set out to make one out of wood (what else, right?). This is what I came up with. It is made of 1/8in birch plywood. The handle is a bent wood lamination made of cherry. The box part of the basket is glued together with CA glue. The bottom sits in a dado. The ends sit in a rabbet. I used blue painters tape to hold the box together while the CA glue dried. Clamps would have crushed the plywood. After it was all done, he "decorated it" with markers. Considering that he was going to draw on it, I wasn't too concerned with the CA glue squeeze out that occurred. All of the plywood cuts (dados & rabbets) were done on my table saw using a Freud thin kerf 50 tooth combination blade along with a zero clearance insert.

I included a picture of the form that I used to make the handle. It is made of MDF screwed onto a piece of plywood. There are dowels in the plywood to allow the use of wedges to aid in the clamping. Before using this, I waxed everything with Johnson's Paste Wax to prevent the glue squeeze out from bonding the handle to the form.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WoodenEasterBasket01.jpg   WoodenEasterBasket02.jpg   WoodenEasterBasket03.jpg   WoodenEasterBasket04.jpg   WoodenEasterBasket05.jpg  

Last edited by Sean Wright; 05-04-2014 at 04:46 AM.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.

Delton, Michigan
    you should date that basket sean because one day someone will look back at and wonder who and when it was made
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Escondido, CA
    How about a picture of your son's art work? This is a collaboration, right? And Larry is right. Date and both of you sign it. You never know when at some date in the future that basket will bring joy to someone's heart in a needed time in the memories it will instigate.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Kansas City, Missouri
    Great looking basket Sean.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Yorktown, Virginia
    Good job Sean.