Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Shii Wood From The Local Shinto Shrine

Some Shii Wood From The Local Shinto Shrine

My wife got a call from the local Shinto priestess, they had some trees trimmed on at their shrine and did I want any?

I went and looked and at first I was quite excited to see a nice sized log......

The whole log was rotten, Oh well, that is why the tree had to come down I guess.

They also took some limbs off a large Shii tree (We say "Shiinoki" in Japanese which is literally "A Shii Tree") in English it is "Castanopsis (chinquapin or chinkapin)" I've never heard of it except in Japan, but it is very close to the golden chinkapins of the Pacific Northwest, if that helps, I gather it is also closely related to Beech wood.

Anyway, I got some nice pieces.

and I cut them up in my parking space using my electric chainsaws, worked great!

Today I am processing them into bowl blanks, I hope to get most of them roughed out very soon as some are showing cracks!

Here is the pile I've got to work through, they are on my router table, protected by some plywood, and the Phoenix bandsaw in the background will be put to work!

I've got a few pieces that I'm scratching my head on how to use, they are kind of strange shapes.....

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well I got it all processed on the bandsaw, sort of round now. I did have a bandsaw blade break, that will get your attention really fast!

The saw contained it without any drama. Broke right on the weld, but the blade was not new and I might have been pushing it a bit on this stuff.

On my last blade, so I need to get some more.

This one might be a waste of time, a lot of wood to turn out the pith, and that crack seems rather deep.

Here is a piece that I got creative with, if I made one large blank it would be really lopsided.....

I sliced off the low side and then cut it in half, making two small tall blanks

I'm thinking two small tall bowls that will be natural edge, might be interesting, I've not done a lot of natural edge stuff in a while.

That is a fair bit of wood right there, not a ton, but will keep me busy for a while.

I think that this one will also make a very interesting tallish natural edge bowl.

now I have to paint on some white glue, that is what I use to seal up the endgrain on my blanks.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Was that tree dead for some time Stu ? The wood looks almost dry.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Was that tree dead for some time Stu ? The wood looks almost dry.
    The wood that I took was actually limbs from a large tree. the tree is not dead, the wood is not dry, it had been sitting for almost a month cut before they called me, but I checked it with my moisture gauge and on the highest setting of 25% it did not register, so that means it is over 25%.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

That is some cool score! I have quite a few chinquapin oak pen blanks...e-bay I think. Beautiful wood! The resulting bowls will do great in your store!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Nice haul Stu.

I managed to score some chinkapin a while back, just small pieces (this is the NW golden - which is very different than the chinkapin oak wood wise). It turns really nice sort of like a finer grained and smoother cutting walnut. If the stuff you ended up with is half as nice you'll be really happy to have it.

Oh and the stuff I got was half rotten as well, maybe its a common problem with the tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    That is some cool score! I have quite a few chinquapin oak pen blanks...e-bay I think. Beautiful wood! The resulting bowls will do great in your store!
    I have a couple of pieces from cutting the pith out of the crotch piece that are destined for pen blanks, they should be very pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I managed to score some chinkapin a while back, just small pieces (this is the NW golden - which is very different than the chinkapin oak wood wise). It turns really nice sort of like a finer grained and smoother cutting walnut. If the stuff you ended up with is half as nice you'll be really happy to have it.

Oh and the stuff I got was half rotten as well, maybe its a common problem with the tree?
    This tree here is related to the NW Golden Chinkapin, but it is somewhat different, I know it is used a fair bit here for furniture and such, but not much anymore as it has been over harvested.

The tree that was rotten was maybe forty or more years old and I think it was at the end of it's life cycle and just needed to be taken down before it fell down in a typhoon or such.

OK, I got all the wood sealed up....

Its all dry this AM

That one piece that had the pith in it and a big crack I decided to give it a spin on the lathe, if it is junk, why not get it over with?
    Boy is this wood wet, the splooge coming off the gouge is amazing, been a while since I've turned wet wood like this.

I think it will be some pretty wood.
    Going with a Natural Edge on this one (NE)

I think I have the shape defined fairly well.

Now it goes into the DNA bath overnight, then wrap it in paper and wait six weeks

This wood must be closely related to oak, because the tannins in it are just making a mess, boy what a mess!

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Stu just for me would you please take a few pics of how you chucked that piece up each time. I really need to getvit in my head how to start a turning like this. Have a bad habit of always going wrong way round.
    Now one can see the moisture in that wood. Its cool to see u getting some shop time again.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

OK Rob I'll do that!

Funny thing happened, when I went to put this one into my DNA, I found another bowl in the bucket!

Must have been in there soaking up that DNA for a few years any way.....

It was about half full of mud from the DNA bucket.

I cleaned it up a bit

And I'm fairly sure it is Keyaki, or Japanese Elm.

Wrapped it up with paper the way that I do, and it too will be ready to turn in a month to six weeks.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward