Box for my daughter

Bob Gibson

My daughter Laura asked for a box to put her son Eliot Robert's memorabilia in. He passed away last April 26th. I made the cross for his grave but really didn't have it in me to build this box until recently.

I thought about inlaying and other fancy stuff but I decided on a simple cherry and curly maple box with rosewood splines. She really loved it.

I went with a sturdy piano hinge only because I figured her 2 other kids would probably be opening and closing it often putting in drawings and other stuff they made for him.

Interesting note on the name Eliot. On my mothers side, we are descendents of John Eliot. John came over on the Mayflower in 1620 landed at Plymouth rock and preached Christianity to the Indians. Two of my daughters have the middle name Eliot.

100_4646.jpg100_4645.jpg100_4643.jpg100_4642.jpg

i agree that no extras needed, the wood and the persons skill that made it was just right.. interesting story bob on the mayflower, now maybe you can dress up and do some reenactments..

You are letting the wood speak...cherry, curlie maple, splines, those are the best! Nothing but the best for this project Bob, from the heart, well done!

Looks great Bob. The clean lines of the box draw focus to the beautiful panel in the lid. A great piece for the family to keep their treasured memories in.

Simply gorgeous work Bob. Great combination of wood. That curly maple is awesome. You did a super job matching the grain on the frame & panel. You are leaving a legacy in your time.

One day I'd like to be able to make a box like that.