Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Question

Turkey Question

I live out in the country along a river, called the Yakima. I live in a group of 5 acre parcels, there are 13 parcels in all. Most have river front with lots of trees and brush. We have deer moving in which is a great thrill. I've been thinking I'd like to see wild turkeys down by the river. I've been contemplating maybe getting some, raising them and then turning them loose down by the river. I've talked to neighbors and they seem real excited by the idea and one even offered to pay half for the birds. My problem is I don't know what breed of turkey survives on their own. Are wild turkeys domestic turkey that have escaped and gone wild, like the wild pigs that are plaguing parts of the country? Or, are wild turkeys a breed all their own?

Years ago, our game department use to give away pheasant chicks to anyone that wanted to raise them and release them. I got about 50 and tried to raise them. It was difficult because pheasants, confined in a pen will eat each other. I only succeeded in getting about 50% to adulthood to release. Pheasants use to be plentiful in this area, now it is a joy to see one. Same thing with jack rabbits. Anyway, I just thought some of the turkey hunters on here might know something about wild turkeys. The only predictors for the turkeys would be coyotes for the most part. Most people out here keep their dogs at home.
    "We the People ......"

Wild but not locally native (similar in washington): http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...are_sprea.html

The washington dept of wildlife has a hunting brochure which shows some of their ranges: http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00768/wdfw00768.pdf

You can buy poults from various places:
    http://www.purelypoultry.com/merriam...lts-p-700.html
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/pr.../Turkey-Poults
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/rio_...ld_turkey.html
    etc... if you search for "breed-of-turkey poults" you get a ton of hits.

My guess is that the Rio Grande is mostly likely to take where you are. The upside is well.. turkeys I guess.. the downsides are that they'll be fairly sparse (figure maybe 5 birds/square mile tops depending on the species and how much you help their habitat - I'm unsure of the legality of feeding them even if you introduced them.. actually ditto on introducing them no idea.. wildlife laws are often weird), they poop rather impressive amounts when they do truck through (similar to goose poop quantities) and they'll eat all sorts of vegetation you may not want them to (especially given the paucity of other foodstuffs in that area).

I guess what you'd like to see is something like this. This was taken last summer. It's about 75 feet from my back door. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	82717

The turkeys came nearly every day, all summer long. At peak, there were about thirty of them. I did put cracked corn out to attract them. The deer come nearly every night, and browse under the oak trees. There's usually five, and often as many as nine of them.

My property backs up to a wildlife preserve, so we get to see nearly every species of wildlife that exists in NE Ohio - up to, and including black bear.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

i agree paul that your first stop is your local game and fish people,, now that you have talked with your neighbors on this and they showed up the game and fish would be knocking at your door soon.. i dont think you can bring them in or feed them..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks for asking the question Paul. I did not know one could even buy something like turkey chicks as joe public.

@Jim man you live in the garden of Eden. I would NOT leave home ever if that was my backyard.
    All you need though is a s bay window in a shop facing it . Then no work would be done. And if Linda saw that pic she would say if that were my backyard them critters would all have names and be greeted each day. Lol. Can see "Ice age " crossing the wires from my office window each day. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Yeah, I'd agree that you should talk with the department of conservation for your area. Found this place too on google... http://www.nwtf.org/NAWTMP/states/washington.html They may have some insight for you as well.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Jim, looks like you live in a park. Mine is not that pretty. Ours is mostly Cottonwood, Russian Olive, Mulberry, Sugar Maple and Locus trees.
    "We the People ......"

I have no idea about how to populate anything wild.

When we first moved into my house we never saw a turkey - more that 10-15 years later we wondered what that was in the woods - then a year or so later we wondered what that huge bird was. Now the turkey population has grown to -- we see flocks of turkeys.

How it happened - I do not know - but it happened.

We used to see racoons - but I have seen a racoons is as many years.

I grew up hunting Pheasants and Quail in Kansas but now thanks to a large turkey population you see very few Pheasants and almost No Quail the Turkeys peck the eggs. Its the same here in Missouri now too. I see 10 to 30 Turkeys every day and can get within 15' of them when driving by. I can look in the field to the west of me and see them moving through at all times of the day. Have a flock of 27 out there almost all the time. Wish I could hunt
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Mulberry

Mulberry and Rhubarb pie is pretty fantastic. Beats the heck out of the usual Rhubarb and strawberry for my money.

On the other hand Mulberry and currant pie was a bust, it might work if you crushed the currants first or used a whole lot more than I did but