Pumpkin seed

Curt Fuller

Pumpkin seed shaped vase, Ash with a Wenge spigot, 6" in dameter and about 2" thick. It has a hole drilled down in about 5" for the flowers. This is the first time I've made one of these and if was fun.

Attachments

• Ash pumpkin seed vase 1.JPG
    Ash pumpkin seed vase 1.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 48
Very, very nice, Curt. I really like the lines...both the piece itself and the wood. I'm guessing you used a vacuum chuck? :huh:

Ya know a real turner would've hollowed that puppy out. :rofl:

Thanks All.

Vaughn, a vacuum chuck would be just the ticket for turning these. But this was done between centers to start with. I made a tenon on one side, held it with that to turn one side smooth. Then I used a homemade jam chuck type jig that is just basically a concave shallow bowl that I can hold in my chuck. I put the smooth side in that cushioned with a thin sheet of neoprene like stuff and hold it with the tail center to shape the other side. It leaves a nub that I knocked off with a chisel and sanded smooth. Turning it sideways to get the top cup was the part I need to find a better way to do.

Curt, I've never seen a wooden bowl that shape. I've seen that shape made in glass and cremanic. Way cool !!! :thumb: There seems to be so many different shapes and objects that can be created by turning. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks All.

Vaughn, a vacuum chuck would be just the ticket for turning these. But this was done between centers to start with. I made a tenon on one side, held it with that to turn one side smooth. Then I used a homemade jam chuck type jig that is just basically a concave shallow bowl that I can hold in my chuck. I put the smooth side in that cushioned with a thin sheet of neoprene like stuff and hold it with the tail center to shape the other side. It leaves a nub that I knocked off with a chisel and sanded smooth. Turning it sideways to get the top cup was the part I need to find a better way to do.
Thanks for the details, Curt. After I posted, I saw you mention elsewhere that you'd used a jam chuck, and after a bit of noodling in my head, I realized how it'd work. I just may have to give it a try. (Heck, I stole the birdhouse idea...may as well steal this one too, because I know darn good and well I couldn't pull off a goblet as well as you do.) ;)

Thanks again for the compliment Vaughn. Nothing stolen here that I didn't steal from somewhere else. I'd like to hear how you do it if you make one just to compare ideas.

I checked out a book from the local library a while back, "Woodturning Forms and Materials" by John Hunnex. He's a British turner. I'm not one to usually read "how to" books on turning because I learned how to turn without any formal instruction. As a result I do things in a lot different way and the books don't make a lot of sense to me. But this book is #1, full of some really incredible ideas on forms and combining woods, and #2, it's not really instructional but he gives a vague idea of how he's done things. That gives you something to start on and then you can figure it out as you go along. This pumpkin seed vase idea came from his book although I changed some things from how he's done them.

If you get a chance to look at this book, it's a good one. I liked it so much that I ended up buying it on Amazon.