Thread: Junk Catalog

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Junk Catalog

I have no idea if these are any good. I got the catalog today and it has a few sets of drill bits and router bits. Might be good for practice?

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...7&BC=S&DL=SEH1

DT

There are many sets of import bits around that cost about $1.00 per. I have a set and find that usually they don't cut clean when new. I use a flat EZ Lap diamond in fine grit on the flats before using. Just a few strokes to clean up the edges and they work beautifully. Be sure to hold flat so you don't add bevels. I'm convinced that many of the so-called higher priced versions, at up to $25.00 per bit, are the same thing painted different colors. Guys who do serious routing/shaping will probably start throwing rocks at me. It's just my observation.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I will say two things,

First , I am a big fan of many of the Bosch router bits I have.

Secondly, I must also agree with Frank, I have a set of cheap bits (Hickory brand or something like that) that I bought at Home Depot a while back. 24 piece set for $99.00. They have performed much better than expected. They do tend to require a little more frequent cleaning for some reason, may be that the Bosch bits have a coating or something that helps.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

I think that those kinds of bits are good to have on hand for those times that you do not have a good bit on hand or for those bits that you rarely use. If you are going to use a particular bit a lot, especially in demanding applications, the top of the line bits are worth the money. I could give you some examples but I will not bore you. I would say to get that set or a simular one and find out which bits that you use and then buy the high end ones. Save your money fast as it will not be long before the ones that you use out of that set are not worthwhile anymore.

Router bits turn at tremendous speeds and are used in all kinds of materials so if you want one that will last a long time with a clean cut you are going to have to spend some money. One good way to save a good amount of money on bits is to watch Infinitys overstock and blemished section. I have bought some of their blemished bits and could not find anything wrong with them. From what I have read Holbren does a good job with the forum members also.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    I think that those kinds of bits are good to have on hand for those times that you do not have a good bit on hand or for those bits that you rarely use. If you are going to use a particular bit a lot, especially in demanding applications, the top of the line bits are worth the money. I could give you some examples but I will not bore you. I would say to get that set or a simular one and find out which bits that you use and then buy the high end ones. Save your money fast as it will not be long before the ones that you use out of that set are not worthwhile anymore.

Router bits turn at tremendous speeds and are used in all kinds of materials so if you want one that will last a long time with a clean cut you are going to have to spend some money. One good way to save a good amount of money on bits is to watch Infinitys overstock and blemished section. I have bought some of their blemished bits and could not find anything wrong with them. From what I have read Holbren does a good job with the forum members also.
    Allen, could you provide a link for Infinity please? I tried a search but the word "infinity" was too broad. I don't have time in this lifetime to go through the 44 million responses I got from Google.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Allen, could you provide a link for Infinity please? I tried a search but the word "infinity" was too broad. I don't have time in this lifetime to go through the 44 million responses I got from Google.
    Here it is Frank: http://www.infinitytools.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    I think that those kinds of bits are good to have on hand for those times that you do not have a good bit on hand or for those bits that you rarely use.
    I'm with Allen. I don't buy sets but I do take advantage of the $5 bit sales and such. I use these bits two ways. One way is if they are a generic-job bit like a 1/2" straight bit that I might use for dados; at $5 or less apiece, I can just toss them when they're done in. The other way is to see if I will really use that profile as much as I think I might; if I do, then I buy a good one.