Carol Meets Jim

Carol Reed the Brilliant

Carol Reed came to visit me---It was a mission in having some fun “yackity yacking. She showed great intelligence by taking the Sprinter (a shiny, well policed, quiet, comfortable, commuter train). By doing this she spent money for her fare (less than it would have cost her to drive) and she avoided the stop, sorta go, and if you are lucky a mile or two of actually going on good old Highway 78 and the trip was faster than by automobile (unless you have a red light and siren on you vehicle)

She arrived at the station exactly on schedule and ready to be picked-up. (Gee, I haven’t picked up a girl since Myrna died in December.). We went to lunch at Mimi’s---a better than average, quiet restaurant. We had good food and good conversation.

Then we went to my house and she viewed the new flooring (what of it she could see with all of the boxes and stuff setting on it). Then we did the shop (what of it she could see with all of the boxes and stuff setting in it). She noted the toys I had acquired since her last visit. We visited some more, I offered her a ride home, however she turned me down saying, “I don’t care what. You do not need to get on Highway 78 at this time of day to take me home; Sprinter will do it faster and easier.”

I came home to tell Family Woodworking about the day. I sat down at the computer and the doorbell rang and that led to something else, etc. So, finally, four hours later I am writing this thread.

I has been a great day!!! Thanks Carol!!!

Pics attached. Enjoy,
JimB

Attachments

• IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 71
Oh yeah, the old "I can give you a ride home" ploy. :rolleyes: She's a minister, Jim, fer cryin' out loud! Slow down there, Turbo! :rofl:

Glad to see you two got a chance to visit for a while. Knowing you both, I'm betting there were lots of smiles per minute. Now that Carol has some dirt in that part of the country, I'm betting you'll get a lot more chances for meet-ups. :thumb:

Oh yeah, the old "I can give you a ride home" ploy. :rolleyes: She's a minister, Jim, fer cryin' out loud! Slow down there, Turbo! :rofl:

Glad to see you two got a chance to visit for a while. Knowing you both, I'm betting there were lots of smiles per minute. Now that Carol has some dirt in that part of the country, I'm betting you'll get a lot more chances for meet-ups. :thumb:

Vaughn,
My "Turbo" was charged. Seems like I forgot to make a few payments and some sneak came and repossessed it one night.

We had fun!!!

Enjoy,
JimB

Jim's a great person to talk with, Carol also:thumb: Great you are close enough to be able to get together, nother google thing about living in California eh Carol:)

so how much would it cost for you to come to michigan by train jim? i got a train station with in 30mins of my home and would pick a old gray haired fellar if was to drop over.. and would feed and house the ole guy to for few days:) glad carol is close wiil keep both of you out of trouble

It was a great visit with a great guy. Lunch was good but the company was better. And the train ride was a bonus. We will have to do this again! Ain't family grand?

so how much would it cost for you to come to michigan by train jim? i got a train station with in 30mins of my home and would pick a old gray haired fellar if was to drop over.. and would feed and house the ole guy to for few days:) glad carol is close wiil keep both of you out of trouble

Man I'd hope you wouldn't have to go on the train up by here!! I really want to take the train through the rockies someday but the service is terrible. The train through here can be up to multiple days late!! :eek: We took it from Pasco (around where Paul D lives) to PDX once and it was supposed to show up at somewhere around 6:00AM or so but was a solid 5+ hours late, long enough we went home and took a nap!

I did a cross country train trip - once. Never again. And I certainly would not recommend it for Jim!

Not on time issues were the least of the issues. Generally, the passengers had little respect for their fellow travelers. Especially parents with totally unsupervised children. Probably on the top of my pet peeves. Food was expensive though not bad. Overall it was boring. Like I said, see the backyards of America - take the train. It goes through the seediest places. The short ride to meet with Jim was actually pleasant - probably because it was short - and I could see the traffic jams on the parallel freeway!

I did a cross country train trip - once. Never again. And I certainly would not recommend it for Jim!

Agree - I wish it was better .. but its unfortunately not! The part through the rockies would be really great (less of the boring scenery part there) except the getting stuck on sidings for hours.. and the other people problems you mention.

A couple years ago we took the train from Brussels to Amsterdam and the contrast with Rail service in the US was absolutely depressing. It was fast, easy, pleasant, not overly expensive. All of the things US train travel has somehow managed to not be.

Why in the heck would I take a train if I could fly?

I'm not too sure Carol would keep anyone OUT of trouble, IN, I could understand.

Enjoy,
JimB