suggestions needed on larger lathe

For the record - I'm slightly curious what those features are?

At the time, the layout of my shop was such that the lathe sat in the middle of the shop with the tailstock towards the wall and I thought I wanted to turn out board... to use the 1642 outboard, you had to slide the headstock to the tail stock end and turn off the end .... with the 1442 the head stock swiveled and could turn either from the side or turn it 180 degree to turn off the headstock end.... with the lathe positioned as I had it, there was no way I could use the 1642.... I've turned the headstock maybe 1/2 dozen times since I got it....

Ah thanks Chuck that makes sense. Honestly I use the sliding headstock less than I thought I would - probably less than I should in some cases (not so much for outboard but for ease of access).

A little late to the thread but I can definitely recommend the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 HP lathe. I have had mine for many years without a single problem and I have worked her pretty hard. If you are ever up this way you are more than welcome to give her a spin. Electronic variable speed with reverse is a very nice feature. Good solid machine.