So Calif fire on three sides of me

I have been trying to reach my cousin who lives in Home Gardens. No answer at her home phone or cell. I know she gets fires regularly around her house. Lives alone, I worry.

Doesn't look like there are any fires currently being reported in Riverside County, so she should be fine. I think all the excitement so far has been in San Diego country.

I have a niece in San Marcos, home of the Coco fire. No word yet on how close it is to her.

Night has arrived. The breezes settle down, the temperature drops down, the moisture in the air increases a tad and old mother fire settles down a bit. However, the totally swacked fire fighters have to continue on, knocking out hot spots and preparing for tomorrow. Tomorrow will see Fahrenheit temperatures in the triple digits, humidity back down to 3%, very noticeable winds and all of the trouble that those bring.

Maybe all we need is a good strong earthquake to shake the fire out.

If it gets tight here, and if I am able, I will head up to Glenn's. Carol offered me a place to park my carcus; her fire is practically under total control. However, Glenn has a spare room and is further from the smoke, etc. They evacuated Cal State San Marcos today. There was so much traffic that some of the people gave up and walked out. They could not get their cars out according to one of the "walkers" on TV.

The police, firemen, emergency shelters, and even the politicians seemed to be much better organized this year than the past couple big fires. However, the fact that there were so many fires, spread out all over made it hard on the fire fighters and they had a hard time trying to stay ahead of the fires.

On the TV all of the speakers for police, fire, and the politicians plead, "If you do not have to go out, stay at home. Stay off the the streets." sort of thing.

Thursday: All seems to be about the same. Dry and wind seem to be the troops of the fire. More choppers and large aircraft carrying more retardant today and a wind of only 8 mph seem to be the fire fighter's troops. There have been some close calls with some very expensive property.

A camera followed the largest "Dust Devil" I have ever seen. It did not get near the fire itself. It cleared the terrain to the bare ground. The width appeared to be about the width of 1/2-1 highway lanes. It took the debris right on up into the sky. If that had gone through a fire sparks would have gone everyplace. Maybe that kind of thing is why we got the prepare to evacuate if necessary notice. For any of the fires to get to me it would have to take out a bazillion houses or come in through the air. I am prepared, however, I do NOT feel any apprehension what-so-ever.

That is today's report from he who talks too much radio.

Enjoy,
JimB

Another update. Mid afternoon. The wind has shifted to an on-shore breeze. That 180º from yesterday. But still gusting upwards of 20mph.

This mean a couple of things. One, the temperature will drop. Two, the humidity will rise. Both good news for firefighters. Three, air quality around here is in the toilet. Definitely staying indoors. Four, fast moving fires are crown fires. They burn tree tops. Flying embers light ground fires. So does a wind that shifts. The fire goes back to burn what it previously burned over. Not good.

With regard to cell and phone service. As you can well imagine those services are taxed to the maximum at present. Also there are some cell towers involved. So Frank, be patient. Thus far the major fires have been in San Diego county. Riverside is not involved.

People expect the surrounding infrastructure to remain the same in emergencies and disasters. Not true. Everything is severely impacted. Communications and transportation especially.

Like Jim says, the word is stay home. Got it.

This is Carol, reporting live from home.

Even with insurance, if your residence gets the El-Scortcho there will be thousands of claims and only so many contractors.

Might be a good opportunity for some ambitious types to make a temporary move to So.Cal. for some outdoor work.

I imagine all trades will be needed as soon as the insurance companies start to cut checks.