Got a heck of a deal today!

John Pollman

Celeste is gonna kill me, but I simply couldn't pass this up. I have been trying to get rid of scrap and unneeded wood, but as I left Home Depot today, I snapped up this entire cart. I got 42 of them for $10.80!

I've got to kick my creativity into high gear. They are particle board, but they make great shelving, as well as other things. As I was loading them into my trailer, a guy from the Pro Desk walked by and asked me if I needed any more of them. He then said that they had a whole other lift inside. I'm tempted!! :)

particle board deal.jpg

...I snapped up this entire cart. I got 42 of them for $10.80!... They are particle board, but they make great shelving, as well as other things...

Great deal for shelving, templates, etc. I woulda, too.

...That is GREAT CNC material. It can be glued up - CNC'd and painted.

For CNC routing, doesn't particle board tend to eat the cutters quickly? The few times I've routed it, it dulled even carbide bits pretty fast.

For CNC routing, doesn't particle board tend to eat the cutters quickly? The few times I've routed it, it dulled even carbide bits pretty fast.

Yes - but that is not what I think about when I am going to make something.
If the cutter is dull - I toss it and but in another cutter.

MDF is more stable that wood and in something painted - it is better than wood.

I do not see that stack of MDF the same way most folk round here see it.

I see shop signs - painted.

I see glued up blocks and perhaps a wizard holding a staff and a magic ball up in the air - coming out of the stack - of course painted.

I see lots of stuff there.

I do not see shelving - I don't like MDF for shelving.

John i would have gone for it too then figured out what i was gonna do with them but even more important where the heck i was going to put them. Lol.
I would go get more.
Add as little labor as possible and turn them into small bookcases spray finish one color like white and hit the local farmers market or craft market or even second hand stores etc
Lets say you use 6 pieces to make a two shelf bookcase. Put a piece of mdf on back. So you have material cost of what $8 somewhere around there.
Put them on sale for a kids room @ $35 and get rid of the lot quick. Use only glue and brads and dado.
If you sell to a business make them take 10 at a time.

For kids room they would be a winner.
Other thing to make is same thing but...put a couple of dowels through the sides and show with ribbons as ribbon shelf holder.
I think there are a bunch of simple things you could make where added material and labor could be kept to a min and allow a very competitive product.
Would be a great creative challenge and entrereneurial test. Go for it. Good luck.

John here is what i was thinking on the ribbon side . or this with plans

or something like this for kids room

bookcase-for-kids-room-design-ideas.jpeg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I went back today and got 52 more. So in the end, I got 94 1x12x48 particle board "shelves" for less than twenty-five bucks!
I'm going to find a good use for them.

Last edited: