Circular saw trouble..? FIXED it:)

larry merlau

have a circular saw that seems to have problems, it locks up and i mean solid.. wont turn but the motor will hum.. i got it back to working by manually jamming it into a post top and breaking it loose inside somewhere then it worded for awhile then did it again once you get it loose it sounds and runs fine. any ideas from your electrical gurus as to where to look when i tear into it today? i have a spare that will go on the job with me from now on..

Last edited:
I'm not much good at these things, but could the brushes be worn out and some metal from there is jammed in there somewhere?

Hi Larry,

Maybe the main bearings on the blade are worn or sticking too much for the motor to pull on them?

Maybe try giving it a sniff on the air vents of the motor. Burning motors have a distinct unpleasant smell.

Larry,
When the saw locks up, can you turn it off (unplug it) and turn the blade freely? Does turning the blade slightly allow the saw to start again?

It kinda sounds like the commutator may have some shorted segments. If they're shorted internally, you need a new saw, but if they're shorted because of conductive debris (from brush wear) between the segments, then you might be able to use a scribe or a piece of hacksaw blade to scrape the debris out and make the saw usable again.

Hey, just curious - is that PC 333 sander still working?

Larry,
When the saw locks up, can you turn it off (unplug it) and turn the blade freely? Does turning the blade slightly allow the saw to start again?

It kinda sounds like the commutator may have some shorted segments. If they're shorted internally, you need a new saw, but if they're shorted because of conductive debris (from brush wear) between the segments, then you might be able to use a scribe or a piece of hacksaw blade to scrape the debris out and make the saw usable again.

Hey, just curious - is that PC 333 sander still working?

the sander is doing fine jim:) now the saw is locked up with it unplugged jim, i think.. but once i get it broke free it will run fine the outer bearings i believe are good yet.. am going to try your trick first on the unplug to make sure then will take apart look inside.. thanks for the jokes and the info folks..:) roger if i taught it the words it would be, Wish i was in Dixie:)

well found the problem,, a screw had come loose that held the magnet in place that surrounds the armature, and it had got jammed in the fan part causing everything to be tight. it was getting jarred loose from me hitting it on the post to unlock it.. and was still inside the housing so i could put it where it went so took it apart tightened it all back up and blew out the dust.. good for another house or two:)