Views:	60 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	82920

This is the belt tension at low and medium:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glathe03.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	82921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glathe04.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	82922

This is the belt looseness at high, and the belt tension:

Name:	glathe05.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	82923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glathe06.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	82924

This it the Reeves drive set to high:

Name:	glathe07.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	82925

Now, I'm guessing this doesn't look right. I would say that the driving spools are not coming together as they should. The width of the driving spool at high is 23/32" measured to the outside of the spool, and the width of the driven spool at low is 20/32". Am I right, and is there a simple fix for this?

All help and suggestions appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Have a look on the driven pulley...are the two sheaves coming together and touching each other at the highest speed setting? If they are touching, that's the top speed and nothing is wrong. If they are not touching, anf it it looks like they are meant to, you might try a bit of lube on the shaft the outer pulley sheave slides on. Most folks recommend a dry lube like graphite for the shaft. That's what I used to use. Frank Fusco had good results with WD-40, as I recall.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks like either the belt has stretched, or you have the wrong belt. From the pics, the pulleys seem to be opening and closing okay.

Is the belt slipping, or just flopping around? If it's not slipping, then you don't have a problem.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

My guess is that you have the wrong belt for the drive, In my experience reeves drives use a wider belt. When one set of sheaves are completely together, the belt should fill the space in between at the top of the sheave, I'm just guessing, since the reeves drives that I have had experience with always used a wider, flat belt about 1/4" in thickness.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Have a look on the driven pulley...are the two sheaves coming together and touching each other at the highest speed setting? If they are touching, that's the top speed and nothing is wrong. If they are not touching, anf it it looks like they are meant to, you might try a bit of lube on the shaft the outer pulley sheave slides on. Most folks recommend a dry lube like graphite for the shaft. That's what I used to use. Frank Fusco had good results with WD-40, as I recall.
    If you look at the last picture, Vaughn, it's the driving pulley where the sheaves don't come together at high speed. The driven pulley comes together perfectly when it should, at low speed (second picture.) I have put some WD-40 on it, and tomorrow I'll see if it worked itself in overnight. If this is just a lubrication issue, it should be easy to solve.

The lathe manual suggests applying grease to the shafts. I suppose they mean white lithium grease. Does anyone use grease?
    Cheers,
    Roger

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Better advice than you can buy Roger. Reeve drives are funny creatures.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    If you look at the last picture, Vaughn, it's the driving pulley where the sheaves don't come together at high speed. The driven pulley comes together perfectly when it should, at low speed (second picture.) I have put some WD-40 on it, and tomorrow I'll see if it worked itself in overnight. If this is just a lubrication issue, it should be easy to solve.

The lathe manual suggests applying grease to the shafts. I suppose they mean white lithium grease. Does anyone use grease?
    Ah, I was crossed up on which of the two pulleys had the moving sheave. I do indeed see that the pulley is fully closing, and it also appears to be fully opening.

As Jim said, if the belt's just floppy and not slipping, there's nothing to worry about. The floppy belt is the nature of the beast. And Chas, my Reeves drive lathe did indeed have a wider belt like you described, but I've seen others (specifically Grizzlys) that had the narrower belt like this one.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Are you sure there really is a problem? Does it work? Been too long for me to remember perzactly how that belt is supposed to look at different speeds. Two things to try. Take belt off. Easy done with adjustable pulley at widest. Then crank them together to see if the come together. If not try some cleaning and lubing. However, if it works, get in house and start turning.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Are you sure there really is a problem? Does it work? Been too long for me to remember perzactly how that belt is supposed to look at different speeds. Two things to try. Take belt off. Easy done with adjustable pulley at widest. Then crank them together to see if the come together. If not try some cleaning and lubing. However, if it works, get in house and start turning.
    That's my next step. I had belt slippage occasionally with my old lathe, which used four stepped pulleys that had to be manually changes, and were always fairly tight. I am certain I will get belt slippage above half speed. I will put some wood in int and try, soon.

Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    Roger

Thucktheth!!!!

After I had done the Memsahib's bidding this morning, power washed the patio, whipper snipped the edges of the lawn, dug a deep hole, dug another hole to contain the dirt from the first hole, loaded the truck with a metric tonne of yard waste and concrete scraps and took it to he dump, etc., etc., I got to take a look at the Reeves drive again. It turns out the copious amounts of WD-40 that I sprayed on the spindles last night must have done the job. Today it works perfectly from lo to hi, and very, very smoothly. All she needed was a bit of TLC.

Oh, I exaggerated the chores a bit. I only did the first two things, and aslo power washed the bed of the truck, and the front wheels.
    Cheers,
    Roger