More for the show..

Chuck Ellis

Also did one from a Royal Paulonia tree that the local power company cut from under a power line and the owner was kind enough to give me the log... this one is about 9 inches also
34-1879_2.jpg

Another oil lamp that I hope goes over well... this sucker is nearly 18 inches tall and turned from a piece of white oak... dry and hard wood. The font(reservoir) is a mason jar with an adapter lid... finished in poly.
22-1891_1.jpg

I always wondered about Paulonia. It's got some nice grain and it finished nicely. It's invasive in our area, but have never snagged any. Noe I will try harder.

I like the paulonia. I enjoy it when the wood is left alone enough that it really looks like wood.

What is it about modern man that he/she gets such enjoyment from oil lamps?

Enjoy,
JimB
\
Can't answer that question, but hope they don't lose the enjoyment... for about the first 10-11 years of my life, oil lamps were the only light we had at night... I've done a many a night's home work under one..... I've made about a dozen of the ones that have the ultra-pur oil candle in them and have sold every one.... this will be my first time offering the ones that actually have a kerosene font(reservoir) in them... the poplar and the bradford pear are glass lamps that I got at Hobby Lobby and have embedded the font in the wood(shown below).... the oak one shown above uses a mason jar as the font.
22-1878_0.jpg22-1874_0.jpg