new chairs, and one goes to the fair, 6 of 9

Dan Noren

Staff member
the morris chairs needed replacing, so i figured out a design based on the design of the couch that i built. it will be made of red oak, which we picked up today. next saturday school will be in session, as one of the guys from my wife's :blah: church wants to learn how to make furniture. i figured this would be a nice, easy way to start.

Attachments

• 000 chair design sketchup.jpg
    000 chair design sketchup.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 001 red oak for chairs.jpg
    001 red oak for chairs.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 44
got some more time in on the chairs today. laid out as many of the parts as possible, and found that i'm going to need a few more boards. got the parts rough cut, and started the planing. only got just so far though, after almost 6 hours in the shop i decided that it was time to call it a day.

Attachments

• 002 parts laid out and ready to be cut.jpg
    002 parts laid out and ready to be cut.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 29
  • 003 ready to be planed.jpg
    003 ready to be planed.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 29
dano before you get far on this chair i would suggest making a rough protp type to see how it sits looks to boxy to me and the judges might be doing there judging on that part as well?

at the beginning stages of the design of these chairs, my wife :blah: wanted something similar to our couch. the idea was inspired by some of stickley's craftsman chairs that i had seen, and resized the design of the couch to that of a chair.

Attachments

• couch.jpg
    couch.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 27385088_1_l.jpg
    27385088_1_l.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 946475_1_l.jpg
    946475_1_l.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 000 chair design sketchup.jpg
    000 chair design sketchup.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32
another 5 hrs of planing the boards today. down to a touch less than 7/8" now. no stopping until i hit 3/4".....

Attachments

• 004 2 days of planing.jpg
    004 2 days of planing.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 20
i think i found a way to get rid of the shavings. they can be used in mushroom growing. dropped an email to a local mushroom grower. if they can use it, they can have it.

after several more passes, all of the boards are finally at the desired 3/4" thickness. i also included a pic of the bags of shaving from this process. had to empty the dust collector 4 times. on to the marking and cutting after i get a new blade for the table saw.

Attachments

• 005 all boards finally planed to thickness.jpg
    005 all boards finally planed to thickness.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 006 two big bags of shavings for the mushroom guys.jpg
    006 two big bags of shavings for the mushroom guys.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 19
spent almost 10 hours in the shop today. got all of the parts cut to size, and the legs glued up. all that is left is the mortises and tenons. that last pic is all that was left over from this one (after using a couple of small offcuts for another project).

Attachments

• 010 leftovers.jpg
    010 leftovers.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 009 all parts cut.jpg
    009 all parts cut.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 008 leg parts in clamps.jpg
    008 leg parts in clamps.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 19
  • 007 leg parts cut.jpg
    007 leg parts cut.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 18
picked up on the chairs again today. trimmed the legs to full length, then laid out all of the mortises for the legs. then it was on to the seat support braces, and cutting the notches. not knowing the possible grt's of anyone who may sit in these chairs, i went a bit stout on the supports. then i finished up with getting exactly one of the through mortises done on one of the legs.

Attachments

• 011 laying out leg mortises.jpg
    011 laying out leg mortises.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 012 laying out notches for seat supports.jpg
    012 laying out notches for seat supports.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 014 notches cut.jpg
    014 notches cut.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 015 seat support test setup.jpg
    015 seat support test setup.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 016 first leg through mortise.jpg
    016 first leg through mortise.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 21
got a bit more done tonight. hunkered down and did not come up for air until i had all of the leg mortises done.

Attachments

• 017 all leg mortises cut.jpg
    017 all leg mortises cut.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 15
after all of the fun last night, all i had energy for was to chamfer the ends of the legs, and sort out the parts that are fully cut, and those waiting to be cut.

Attachments

• 019 parts waiting to be cut.jpg
    019 parts waiting to be cut.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 018 finish cut parts.jpg
    018 finish cut parts.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 11
a little on the warm side here today, not much time as i have to work tonight, so i did manage to make the cheek cuts for the majority of the tenons. the tenons for the slats will be cut when the main structures of the chairs are put together so i can get a more accurate fit.

Attachments

• 020 start of cutting tenons.jpg
    020 start of cutting tenons.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 8
got a bit more done with the chairs today. cut all of the tenons, and with such a good tight fit, won't be needing any glue, just clamp them tight and peg them. got the first one test assembled so that i could check the fit of everything. now i will be able to accurately measure out the lengths of the slats for the sides and back, then lay out where the mortises go, then make the tenons.

Attachments

• 021 tenon cheeks cut.jpg
    021 tenon cheeks cut.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 022 all tenons cut.jpg
    022 all tenons cut.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 023 first test fit.jpg
    023 first test fit.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 024 test fit of seat braces.jpg
    024 test fit of seat braces.jpg