new chairs, and one goes to the fair, 6 of 9

started out the day with getting the second of the chairs test assembled. now i can measure out for the tenons for the slats for both of them.

Attachments

• 026 chair 2 test setup.jpg
    026 chair 2 test setup.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 13
had enough time today to dial in the tenoning jig, and cut the sides, and make the cheek cuts on all of the slats. tomorrow the short sides will be cut, and i will be able to lay out all of the mortises and cut them too. hopefully i will have enough time tomorrow to do all of the sanding.

Attachments

• 028 long sides of tenons cut.jpg
    028 long sides of tenons cut.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 029 tenon cheeks cut.jpg
    029 tenon cheeks cut.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 7
that's the nice thing about a mortising machine ol son. i can make a test mortise on a scrap of lumber, and then dial in the thickness on the tenoning jig until i have a good fit. once i have everything set up, then i can go to town cutting the cheeks, and then set up the band saw and cut the small ends off, then they are ready to go. once i have the final width of the tenons, i can lay them out, and go to town on the mortising machine. that's what i told my boss one day about my setting up for the night's print run, when i bring out all of the paper and forms that i'll need, that it is just like woodworking, once you get everything set up, and all the stock you need ready, you can run like a bandit without worrying about having enough of what you need at hand.

got all of the tenons cut today, and checked out the spacing of the slats on the chair.

Attachments

• 032 tenons in place b.jpg
    032 tenons in place b.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 031 tenons in place a.jpg
    031 tenons in place a.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 030 all tenons cut.jpg
    030 all tenons cut.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 8
You brought back a memory. Friends of my parents had a Morris chair. It was a miserable thing for a child to sit in. Since I was a brat, I made a big stink about it. Thereafter when we visited the Fughes one of my parents would sit in the chair to occupy it so that I was never expected to sit in it.

Just think. The movies make children appear to be little angels and talk and act like grownups. Maybe that is why I wasn't a child movie star.

Enjoy,
JimB

finished up fine tuning of the big tenons, and laid out all of the slat mortises last night. also discovered that my mortising machine, even with the extension block, isn't tall enough for the larger boards, i guess its improv time.

started working on the mortising, and realized that even with the extension block, there was no way that i could cut the mortises in the larger back bottom boards. as i was getting the longer bolts to use with the extension block, i picked up longer ones for use with the wooden spacer that was needed for the bigger boards. it was just enough, with about a half inch of clearance. the worst part was, that after i got to business with cutting the mortises, with 3 boards to go, the tip of the drill bit broke off. i will be falling back on the 5/16" bit, and will adjust the tenons (3/8" or 6/16") with a rub from the rasp.

Attachments

• 033 improv 101.jpg
    033 improv 101.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 15
got all of the mortises finished off on sunday, and got all of the parts sorted out. gonna have to make like elvis and go cat go, as the time to drop off at the fair is just around the corner.

Attachments

• 034 all mortises cut.jpg
    034 all mortises cut.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 035 all major parts ready to be sanded.jpg
    035 all major parts ready to be sanded.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 036 all slats ready to be sanded.jpg
    036 all slats ready to be sanded.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 5
Wow Dan you put my progress rate to shame. Lol.
I like the chair but how many are u making for the fair? What you doing for cushions?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

hi rob! 2 for at home, to replace the wobbly chairs that i had made about 10 years ago, and one of them is going to the fair. i will be using the cushions from the old chairs, and will be re-covering them with the same material as the couch. as there is a bit of a time constraint (have to bring the stuff to the fair this coming sun - tue), and as the other chairs haven't taken the beating that the couch did, i will just be dropping the old cushion in place, then put the new covers on after the fair.

got over to pop's house about 4:30 this morning (took an hour of pto and left at 4), commenced to sorting out parts, and started the sanding. once i got the sanding done, i dyed all of the parts, and went home. after a few hours of sleep, dropped herself off at school and back to pop's to give all the parts a light rub with 220, and then a coat of seal coat. tomorrow morning it will be time for the gel stain.

Attachments

• 039 fair chair parts seal coated.jpg
    039 fair chair parts seal coated.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 038 fair chair parts dyed.jpg
    038 fair chair parts dyed.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 037 fair chair parts sanded.jpg
    037 fair chair parts sanded.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 6
the final assembly commences! after running errands today, got some time in on the chair (going all out on finishing the one for the fair). with the seal coat set, i gave all the parts a quick rubdown to smooth it out a bit. then started modifying the tenons needed for the 5/16" mortises (a good rasp comes in handy some days). then i started the assembly, first adding the braces for the cushion on the bottom front and back boards, then assembling the sides and back. that took a bit of effort, as most of the tenons were a pretty close fit. then i got one side completely assembled when i got the call from the wife :blah: to take her to her friend's house. tomorrow the assembly will be completed, with the tenons being pegged, then the assembly will be tested with the intended cushion (i hope it fits), and then it gets its coat of gel stain. tomorrow it will be the coat of seal coat, one of shellac, and paste wax.

Attachments

• 045 one side assembled.jpg
    045 one side assembled.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 044 back assembled.jpg
    044 back assembled.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 7
  • 043 side two assembled.jpg
    043 side two assembled.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 042 side one assembled.jpg
    042 side one assembled.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 041 back cushion brace in place.jpg
    041 back cushion brace in place.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 040 front cushion brace in place.jpg
    040 front cushion brace in place.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 7
really leaned into this one today. right after i put the bottom cover on the cushion, i found that i had finished 3 front legs, and 1 back leg! :eek: needless to say, that after saying a few earthy things :tantrum:, did a very quick sanding and finishing of a front leg. then went on to assembling the other side. after pegging both sides, did the final assembly/pegging. then came the moment of truth, and as luck (or pure skill) would have it, it fit just right. after a test sitting (and i didn't wind up in a pile of sticks), removed the cushion, and hit it with the gel stain. either very late tonight, or early tomorrow, it will be time for the shellac and wax.

Attachments

• 046 bottom cover added to cushion.jpg
    046 bottom cover added to cushion.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 047 finished cushion.jpg
    047 finished cushion.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 048 pegging hole drilled.jpg
    048 pegging hole drilled.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 049 pegging hole filled.jpg
    049 pegging hole filled.jpg