Voilà ! One housed mortised and tenon done.
As I said earlier, this process needs refinement before I mill the rest of them.
But I decided I would work on the knee braces next to get those tenons done and then tackle all of the mortises at one time.
So back to SketchUp. The knee brace locks the post to the header at a 45º angle.
I cut the 4 braces to length. Note the 'X' mark. That was to make sure I was on the cutting side of the mark.
I headed over to my friend Phil's shop. He has a large bandsaw he allowed me to use to cut the joint profile on each end of the brace.
The tenons needed to be on a 45º angle and warped my brain for a while. SketchUp made things clear to me. From there I made a cardboard template to trace on each end of the braces. I needed a starting place which turned out to be 1" in from the end. I made that mark first.
As it turned out I could cut the profiles without having to mark both sides of the brace. A small band saw table would have forced me to work only from one side of the blade.
Then I tipped up the brace and used the band saw blade to mark the tenon cheek. Now it was back to the hand saw. First the shoulder cut. Then the check cut.
And voilà! The four knee braces have their rough profiles cut.
These tenons will need to be refined. I will face the outside cheeks with the router, but the inside cheeks will have to be pared with the chisel.
That is where I am at the moment. I will finish the knee brace tenons and then begin on the mortises.
More to come.