*Ding Ding* -- The Trolley's Rollin'

Here's the latest thing to literally roll out of the shop. John Ball Zoo (the zoo in Grand Rapids, MI) is refurbishing their trolley, and I was hired to do the exterior woodwork. It was fun, but it was a lot more work than I bid. :doh: Even so, it's looking good, and I learned a few things. Can't be unhappy about that!

The corner trim pieces were preassembled at the appropriate angles, and the rear horizontal trim was steam bent to "make the curve". Also, in the front it was kinda fun to make the middle vertical pieces on the windows. They are from a single piece, but have an angled front, channel in the back that's parallel with the front surface, but edges returning back to the windows (which are at 20.6 degrees to each other) at 90 degrees.

-Hutch

Attachments

• Trolley 1.jpg
    Trolley 1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Trolley 2.jpg
    Trolley 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Trolley 3.jpg
    Trolley 3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 53
Thanks all! I learned a lot for sure. If you ever need to template route curved parts a flush trim spiral is the way to go. No tearout even when going against the grain....in oak!

Jim C. Bradley - Yeah, the doing was interesting. The curved trim around the windows had to have the horizontal member coped at a curve to match the curve of the arch.

Leo Voisine - Thanks! I just added some more photos to my website this morning.

- Hutch