this is why I like her

allen levine

I didn't want to push my wife at all, shes been through a lot of medical stuff this past 3 weeks ending in surgery on Friday.
the 15% off Jet products ends today or tomorrow, and I had mentioned the tool I wanted was 15% off, but it was a big price tag.
She logged onto her amazon account, and said happy fathers day, and my kids will come over(mainly my son) on fathers day and help assemble it, that's all the fathers day gift I need.(some people have barn raisings, Ill have a lathe raising, complete with ribeye steaks and all the trimmings. should be a nice day)
I got the jet1642 evs lathe, not sure where its going to fit, and how soon I will be able to have some time to play with it, but saving 350 and free shipping, what the heck.
Its scheduled to be here in around 10 days. Not sure how Ill get it from the street to my garage, hopefully a dolly will handle it or Ill give the driver 20 bucks to get it into the garage.
Im happy.
(Im sure my bil and maybe Ill get my nephew here to help my son lift the heavy parts)

guess Im going to have to learn how to sharpen gouges now.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I'm sure you are going to love that lathe. I looked at them, don't really need a new lathe, but I kind of miss a bigger lathe. But, I was strong, which means I am broke, and resisted the temptation! I do think it was kind of hard of you to mention such a thing when your wife is weak from surgery!!!:D

Ill get my hands on a sharpening system and practice with my hf tools until I get the hang of it.
I don't expect to be doing much turning this summer, as my son's list of furniture and built ins is getting larger by the minute.
I need to find a source of some large chunks of wood for bowl turning, should be some experience.

Here you go Allen. I built one of these out of wood since I was too cheap to buy one since I hardly do any turning. This video is from our own Stu.

Here you go Allen. I built one of these out of wood since I was too cheap to buy one since I hardly do any turning. This video is from our own Stu.

Ill have to put that right behind the mobile router table I need to build for the Milwaukee, and the downdraft mitre saw table and a few other jigs I keep meaning to build.

best I just buy one so I can get going when I want too.

From the little time we have spent talking, I get the feeling there is a "little" more than like going on between you and your missus!! She is a keeper for sure though. Hope she is feeling better each and every day my friend. She is in my prayers.

Congrats Allen. You got a keeper but then so has she. You the man enjoy the fine lathe. Your missus understands life is short make the most of it. Hope she mends well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Congrats! That's great lathe. And I agree that a sharpening system will be well worth the money. I would recommend the Wolverine jig. It's the industry standard for a good reason.

Also, the HF sets do not include a bowl gouge, so you should also get your hands on one or two bowl gouges from the get-go, since I suspect you didn't get this new late to do spindle work. ;-) if you want gouges to practice sharpening with, I'd suggest the Benjamin's Best tools from Penn State. But when you're ready for real tools, just cut to the chase and go with Thompson Lathe Tools. They are a rare case of being the best you can buy while not being the most expensive.

the lathe is sitting in a freight terminal less than 15 minutes from my house at the airport.
I have no way of moving it, so I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for their truck to bring it to me.

the lathe is sitting in a freight terminal less than 15 minutes from my house at the airport.
I have no way of moving it, so I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for their truck to bring it to me.

Aw man, that's like a kid knowing his birthday present is in the closet in Mom and Dad's bedroom, but he can't get his hands on it until his birthday next week.

it has to sit in my garage until fathers day when my son will be here to assemble it.
then I start work in his house so I doubt Ill do much with it for a couple of months at least.

I called the freight company, just to make sure they are going to place the pallet where I need it placed, not just expect to drop it off curbside.
I was told theres no problem, the drivers will take care of everything, and I confirmed delivery for today between 9 am and 12pm
At 8:55 I went outside to move a car out of the way of garage door, started to roll my tablesaw out of the way, and I hear the truck backing up whistle. What? someone actually put my delivery first on the list? This is a first for me, never, in my 59 plus years of life did any delivery service come first when I got a time window.
Usually, if they say between 9 and 1 , they show up at 1:40 and tell me traffic was bad.
Two you men jumped down, and ran the pallet jack up my driveway, mentioned their jack was leaking oil, should they roll it into garage, I said sure, I have papertowels, and they put it exactly where it will be until I move or die.
they were gone by 9:02.
Getting my drawing book together, heading over to my sons home shortly to sketch out exactly what builtins he wants for his office.
gotta keep my schedule full.
Im hoping to have this assembled this coming Saturday, my son said hes coming over early.

Attachments

• 1642 001.jpg
    1642 001.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: