A little furniture restoration - cosmoline removal from wood tips?

Tried any of that woodfiller Diresta uses. When he is done and sands it you pretty much cannot see it.
I would keep the aged stock, heck its an old rifle it should show it to be authentic. But its got to work.

Well Darren , I think you killed ...I mean Nails the refinish. For what you are going for your spot on and doing an awesome job but don't expect to get a great receptions and Ricks Pawn shop. LOL

Sorry, I think you know what I mean.

Tried any of that woodfiller Diresta uses. When he is done and sands it you pretty much cannot see it.
I would keep the aged stock, heck its an old rifle it should show it to be authentic. But its got to work.

Any idea what the brand is? I'm not sure I'll need much if any I'm planning to leave some of the dings to show the age, but at least it won't look like complete trash as before.

Well Darren , I think you killed ...I mean Nails the refinish. For what you are going for your spot on and doing an awesome job but don't expect to get a great receptions and Ricks Pawn shop. LOL

Sorry, I think you know what I mean.

LOL, Yeah, though I'm into it for $80, the barrel/receivers now are going for over $150 without stocks today, but still plentiful. Usually if you start picking up these the first round of imports they are cheap, the next few imports they go up in price, and eventually are over priced. I got what I needed from it in doing some restoration experience and will make a profit if I decide to sell it.

Thanks Rob, I think I've used that before, I mostly use the stuff that is acetone based and it stainable. I use sanding dust when I can mixed with CA too.

So got some shaping done to the last two patches, sanded and did a coat of stain. I'll have to work on color matching my plugs in a little better and we'll see if the BLO breaks up the stain any.

2016-05-31 21.36.40.jpg 2016-05-31 21.31.41.jpg 2016-05-31 21.31.50.jpg

Letting this dry overnight, then will do some touch-ups

Darren you may want to consider using a 5 minute 2 part epoxy and mixing color powder in if you doing a smooth finish. If not a good yellow or rabbit glue mixed with wood dust works well also.

Darren you may want to consider using a 5 minute 2 part epoxy and mixing color powder in if you doing a smooth finish. If not a good yellow or rabbit glue mixed with wood dust works well also.

Thanks Dave! :wave: Used some of the oak putty I had on hand that takes stain, Not sure much if any was left after sanding, the replacement pieces fit pretty well. I'll start applying some BLO this weekend and do that for couple of coats over the next few weeks.

Got the first coat of BLO on, just dipped my finger in and rubbed it in all over, sat it in the sun as Dave suggested. Will get another coat on later this week. It is a bit lighter in color than I was going for, but we'll see what a few more coats of BLO does to it.

2016-06-05 18.34.38.jpg 2016-06-05 18.34.49.jpg

Have about 4 applications of BLO and starting to see a little sheen to the finish. Been rubbing down with 1500 grit between coats. Also been leaving it out in the shop and with the 90 degree days it's baking it quite nicely. Will continue for a few more coats, then maybe some paste wax on it.

2016-06-09 21.39.30.jpg 2016-06-09 21.39.40.jpg

Coming along nicely. Its a far cry from where you started. You can always darken it if you desire.

Man i would like to have a go at putting a few rounds down range with that rifle when is done. If i recall you did do that prior to restoration, what was kick like?

Coming along nicely. Its a far cry from where you started. You can always darken it if you desire.

Man i would like to have a go at putting a few rounds down range with that rifle when is done. If i recall you did do that prior to restoration, what was kick like?

Thanks, I didn't take it out prior to starting on the stock, but I've got a longer version and it kicks like a mule. I'll be replacing the steel butt plate with one of these though. I'll have to see how it fits and looks, I may still end up lopping off the end and doing a fitted butt pad.

31ZUj3rwfCL._SX355_.jpg

A few coats a thinned oil will dry faster , get in deeper then add full coats.
You can add a couple drops of japan dryers to the oil just before you apply it for quicker drying.

Last edited: