A little furniture restoration - cosmoline removal from wood tips?

A few coats a thinned oil will dry faster , get in deeper then add full coats.
You can add a couple drops of japan dryers to the oil just before you apply it for quicker drying.

Cool, I hadn't heard of the Japan Dryer, looks like they carry it at the local paint store even. :thumb: Thanks! The stock has been cooking and will be cooking most of the weekend. It's in the 90's here and the shop has been closed up, so it's drying pretty quickly.

Cool, We'll see how it looks after another coat, it's been darkening up pretty nicely. Thanks for the info. :wave:

I need to get some of the parts into the blast cabinet to clean up. I'm planning to just do a cold blue to them. I'd like to try some hot bluing some day, but not sure I want to deal with having the salt baths around my shop, nor do I think I'll be doing it often enough.

I finally got the rest of the small parts into the blast cabinet tonight. I got everything washed down with some DNA, let them dry, then used some of Brownell's Oxpho-Blue to reblue them.
2016-07-14 23.03.00.jpg

The parts that were blasted got three coats of it with a rub down with some 0000 steel wool between coats. The receiver had some slight marring, so it got rubbed down with the steel wool then a couple of light coats of the bluing to touch it up. I can't even see where the marring was and the re-blued parts were a good match. Keep in mind, I didn't do a perfect job on the restore, I did want it to look like it had some use.

The trigger guard was completely stripped and reblued, along with the trigger.
2016-07-14 22.55.57.jpg

After about 5 coats of BLO, I buffed out the stock with some paste wax.
2016-07-14 22.55.24.jpg2016-07-14 22.55.35.jpg

A few close ups with areas that had some plugs and patches added to the wood
2016-07-14 22.55.42.jpg 2016-07-14 22.56.04.jpg

I added a padded butt stock plate.
2016-07-14 22.56.11.jpg

And a cheek pad with a small pouch for supplies and a few rounds.
2016-07-14 23.01.04.jpg 2016-07-14 23.01.22.jpg

I've got a few more touch up's to do to some of the metal, but will try to get it to the range this next week to test out.

Very impressive, you have been patient and done an amazing job on that rifle , may be worth pausing and looking back at what you started with, the wood is really showing now as wood.
Would really like to put a few rounds down range and see how it fires.
Will be interesting to hear how it goes and what grouping you manage to get. Nice restore. Still amazed at the stock rescue well done.

What a huge difference that makes. I too, would be interesting in how that shoots. Looks like quite a fun project!

Thanks guys. Honestly I'm not sure that it was shot a lot. The rifling looks pretty good on it still, I think it was more of a training gun than anything, but mostly carried (and dropped...in the mud) and not shot.

Beautiful finish. Leaving the character is the way to go. There are 2 great options for rubbing the finish down. Liberon 0000 steel wool, the finest there is or auto sanding pads , 2000 then 4000 grit.
How did the japan work for you ?

Thanks guys!
Beautiful finish. Leaving the character is the way to go. There are 2 great options for rubbing the finish down. Liberon 0000 steel wool, the finest there is or auto sanding pads , 2000 then 4000 grit.
How did the japan work for you ?

I didn't get any picked up. The stock sat for about a month in the hot shop, so it dried pretty well on it's own. I've got another project coming up that I'll give it a go on. :wave:

It's a Deutsch Werks Ortgies, .32 cal. As you can see from the pocket lint found inside, it wasn't taken care of real well, but is in good condition overall, at least nothing the blast cabinet can't take care of.
2016-05-21 21.09.35.jpg

Last edited: